FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you track skin tones from frame to frame in Da Vinci Resolve?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan elder
How do you track skin tones from frame to frame in Da Vinci Resolve?
on Aug 24, 2018 at 2:09:17 am

I was watching this tutorial on using it and at 16:15 into the tutorial, he isolates the skin tones, and separates from the rest of the scene, so he can color the rest of the scene without coloring the skin:

But when I do that, the program fails to hold the isolation and cannot hold the skin from frame to frame. Does anyone know how to do this or anything?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
Re: How do you track skin tones from frame to frame in Da Vinci Resolve?
on Aug 24, 2018 at 2:22:34 am

That video has nothing to do Resolve tutorials. Did you post the wrong link? Do you know how to use the Qualifier tool? You can also, in less demanding clips, use the different curves (Hue vs. Sat, Hue vs. Lum, etc.) and use the dropper tool on a face, then you can just tweak the skin tones that way.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Aug 24, 2018 at 2:24:42 am

Oh my, sorry about that! For some reason, the link didn't copy when I copied it, and I accidentally posted something else from before. Sorry about that. Here is the real link:

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Aug 24, 2018 at 3:13:38 am

16:15 is the very end of the video, I'm not going to scan through the entire thing looking for the skin isolation part. But I must tell you I've seen that video before, it's a bit beyond your abilities right now, also if I remember, he's grading RAW footage which is a lot easier to grade than h264 which is what most prosumer cameras use. But, again, check out the two methods I mentioned before. Search for Qualifier tutorials in Resolve, and also how to use Hue vs. Sat curves.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Aug 24, 2018 at 3:24:44 am

Sorry, it's 11:15 into the video exactly.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Aug 24, 2018 at 3:43:13 am

I know about the saturation and the hues, just not sure how to get the program to perform tracking the skin color from frame to frame.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 24, 2018 at 5:56:36 am

[ryan elder] "I know about the saturation and the hues, just not sure how to get the program to perform tracking the skin color from frame to frame."

I have no idea what your footage looks like but if your key is not holding then there's probably some lighting or hue changes on the skin that are changing over time. Then you'd be better of by isolating your areas with powerwindows.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Aug 24, 2018 at 6:42:33 am

Well the actors skin can change shade when walking into a different part of the lighting pattern, but this should be expected as normal, as a scene is not going to be even lit for every part of the whole scene, otherwise the lighting will look too flat, right?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 24, 2018 at 7:26:58 am

Keying is isolating a certain color range. If that range changes from the original selection then the key won't work. Then you'll need to use some other technique to isolate what you need.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Aug 24, 2018 at 7:41:22 am

K thanks. The only other method I can think of is rotoscoping, but that will take a lot of work and time going from frame to frame, for every actor for a whole movie though.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 24, 2018 at 8:14:19 am

Well that can be done and has been done before eg. The Revenant and Birdman but one would need a bunch of money and assistants for that. Soft tracked powerwindows work pretty well for color work where keys don't work.

Return to posts index

ryan elder
on Aug 24, 2018 at 4:12:54 pm

Okay thanks. Perhaps I don't need to skin tone tracking as it does take time, money and assistants, like you say, but is there anyway I can separate the back ground, from the foreground, color wise? I was told before that the backgrounds in my work can be distracting, especially when shooting in public places, where I don't have much control.

For example, one time, there was a bright green car in the background, and some test viewers said they found it distracting from the story. Anything I can do in the coloring to separate those things from the foreground, and from the actors, color wise?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Aug 24, 2018 at 9:18:33 pm

I'm pretty sure this guy is just yanking us.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]