FORUMS: list search recent posts

Software or dongle license?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Bussé
Software or dongle license?
on Aug 20, 2018 at 10:45:52 pm

From my understanding, the advantage of the software license is that you can install on 2 machines, and the advantage of the dongle license is that you can install Fusion as a stand-alone.

Aside from freeing up extra RAM, what are the advantages to running Fusion as stand-alone? Is the stand-alone version more full featured?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Software or dongle license?
on Aug 20, 2018 at 11:32:38 pm

Fusion dongle/ license is different to Resolve dongle /license so your Resolve dongle doesn't unlock Fusion Studio. Standalone Fusion, both free and paid for are more fully featured than the version inside Resolve 15. Also Blackmagic have said they intend to keep the standalone and with additional features so that will remain the case unless they change their mind. Maybe the free Fusion might disappear over time but that is pure speculation on my part.

One feature of the Fusion Studio standalone with dongle is on WIN PCs it can create Apple endorsed ProRes files. That is not available in Resolve Studio on PC although I would like that to be the case.

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Aug 24, 2018 at 10:00:29 pm

Thanks, Michael. Yeah, I'd love for Resolve to add support for encoding ProRes too. Hopefully we'll at least get read support for ProRes Raw in Resolve/Fusion in a couple of months when the Apple/Atomos six month exclusivity deal has passed.

Is there a chart showing which features standalone Fusion has which Resolve Fusion does not? I abandoned node-based compositing for layer-based about 3 years after Shake went eol, but am really looking forward to reintegrating it into my workflow.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 24, 2018 at 11:03:43 pm

[Brad Busse] "Is there a chart showing which features standalone Fusion has which Resolve Fusion does not?"

I would expect Blackmagic to have that somewhere on their support page.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve-and-fusion

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]