FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Issues with Davinci Resolve 15

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Declan Smith
Audio Issues with Davinci Resolve 15
on Aug 13, 2018 at 1:51:33 pm

Very excited about V15, but looks like some killer audio bugs from the BETA version have slipped through.

1. If You have a video clip synced and linked to a multichannel audio clip, then set the clip attributes of the file to a single mono track in the media page, and select the desired linked channel all is good (i.e this makes the editing timeline simple with flexibility to change it later). Drop it into the timeline, and edit. BUT, if you later use clip attributes on the timeline clip and change the channel, it will lose sync. This will be permanent on that timeline even if you remove and re-introduce the clip. If you duplicate the audio clip in the timeline and do the same, again, it loses sync. The use case here would be for example, to use the Boom channel as a guide (or main) for editing, then in sound design stage, it may be more appropriate to choose a separately recorded channel, such as a lav mic or safety track, from the multichannel clip. This works as expected in V14.3.1

2. If you use clip attributes and try and change the audio type of the clip, for example 5.1 to adaptive 6, or mono, Resolve will crash!

There are so many really nice features of resolve like Video clips taking on metadata from separately recorded audio files (i.e. the clips automatically get the shot/take numbers and track names when synced and linked), but then not being able to make changes to the audio selection / format and clips going out of sync if you select a different channel, is very frustrating.

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
Davinci Resolve / FCPX / Adobe CS6 / FCS3 / Zoom F8 / Roland R26 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Reason 10 / Cubase

"it's either binary or it's not"

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
Re: Audio Issues with Davinci Resolve 15
on Aug 17, 2018 at 4:05:27 pm
Last Edited By Declan Smith on Aug 17, 2018 at 8:08:09 pm

I have worked out workarounds for both the issues I have raised which I will share here for anyone else who may be experiencing either of these issues.

Issue 1:
Out of sync audio when changing source channel.

Go to the original Clip in the media page, right click clip attributes->Audio tab, then change the channel type to be either 5.1 or adaptive X, which ever is more suitable, and ensure that all channels you want to be available are mapped in the channel list. Now, right click and create a new timeline from the clip. This is only necessary to force resolve into updating it's configuration, and you can immediately remove this temporary 1 clip timeline.

That's it! As long as the source clip has them all explicitly listed as available, then you can change them at your hearts content on the timeline and all channels will stay in sync. This allows the workflow that when you first ingest your media, set them all as mono and select a default track, enabling you to have a simple timeline. Later on you can select other channels other than the default and after applying this workaround, not only will you be able to select the track, but the metadata on the clip updates, so if your sound recordist has labelled channels nicely, it makes for a really nice editing workflow ☺

Issue 2:
Resolve crashing when you change the audio channel type.

You may encounter this issue if using my resolution above! The work around for this one is a little strange. Right click your source clip, select clip-attributes->audio tab. Now, go to the existing channel setup and just click the channel type dropdown, but don't select anything. Now click away somewhere else on the screen so the combo box closes. Now click the combo box once more, and select your desired channel type! You need to do it this way everytime you want to make a change to avoid Resolve crashing. Resolve support couldn't replicate this issue (even though I could on two separate machines with completely different hardware), so if others experience it, I urge you to contact Black Magic support, but at least there is workaround here.

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
Davinci Resolve / FCPX / Adobe CS6 / FCS3 / Zoom F8 / Roland R26 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Reason 10 / Cubase

"it's either binary or it's not"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]