Different resolution for Fusion clip and project settings inside Resolve 15

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anmol Mishra
Different resolution for Fusion clip and project settings inside Resolve 15
on Jul 25, 2018 at 2:47:28 pm
Last Edited By Anmol Mishra on Jul 25, 2018 at 2:58:28 pm

Hi.
I am trying to create a Resolve master timeline of 4096x2048.
In these I want to place 2x 1080p clips - one on top and one on bottom.

I want to apply warp transforms on these clips inside Fusion.
So the Fusion clip settings have to be 1080p.

How can I have separate timeline and Fusion clip settings ?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Different resolution for Fusion clip and project settings inside Resolve 15
on Aug 3, 2018 at 3:00:13 pm

I would either

A: work in a 4096 space in Fusion, and during your node process, spit the clips into their two 1920 sizes, work on them, and recombine them into the 4096 for render.

B: open the clips in a standalone version of Fusion, make your two 1920x1080 effect shots, and bring those into Resolve as new sources.

C: set your timeline in Resolve to 1920, put your top and bottom clips next to each other instead of on top of each other, and create a Fusion clip with those two clips. In Fusion do what you want to do to each clip and create a new saver for each one then bring those back into Resolve as source clips.

Personally I would just use B: Fusion connect can be handy, but sometimes its nice to just have a clean fusion comp on hand for tweaks and adjustments without having to go through the Resolve timeline.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Butch McDonald
on Nov 24, 2018 at 7:28:57 am

Hi Glenn,
Sounds like you know your workarounds.
I run a production company and after NAB Vegas 2016 and seeing Resolve we decided that when things came off beta we would make the jump and completely drop the Adobe cloud.

Well while getting up to speed I realised that you could not successfully mix resolutions between multiple clips while moving between EDIT & FUSION tabs.

Was wondering if you have any suggestions for the following:
We finish our projects in HD 1920 x 1080.
We shoot our footage in 4K to provide different framings and motion for composites (2 shots or more) and also quite often work with very large graphic elements way larger than 4K
If I want to work with one 4k shot, moving to fusion from the HD timeline/project honours the source resolution by setting up a 4k canvas/raster in Fusion. All ok
Problem is, if I have multiple larger than HD resolution shots that I have edited to audio, roughly scaled etc and then want to go to Fusion to composite, fusion sets up a cropped HD canvas/raster and crops the shots to HD so we cannot utilise the full resolution of the source imagery.
As Fusion does not allow audio previewing it makes it really difficult to edit multiple different resolution files in a standalone version of Fusion to audio so we thought the Resolve integration was the answer... it is not unless you can assist with a "not so clunky" work around
Really look forward to you reply.
Cheers

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 24, 2018 at 8:45:11 pm

I'm afraid i don't use Resolve 15 yet. Too many large projects i'm trying to wrap up on 14, and i can't jump to 15 before it stabalizes, and i wrap up these jobs...so i don't use the fusion tab at all. I have used the Stand alone version of Fusion Studio for quite a while now, and my "workaround" for what you are describing is to simply set my resolve timeline to the size of the shot i want to work on, and export that shot as dpx files, or as a fusion connect clip.

Work on it in fusion in it's native size, and export it out of fusion in it's native size.
Then it is just another 4k source clip inside Resolve.

You can use audio in fusion, but it isn't the greatest workflow. You would have to export a wave file for each shot you wanted to work on. I usually just use notes to figure out any timing that is audio specific and note which frames something has to be triggered by sound.

Fusion is a great program, with a lot of power, but it is still a ways off before it is fully integrated into the workflows we used to enjoy on things like Avid DS where the graphics tab was just part of the program.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Butch McDonald
on Nov 24, 2018 at 11:06:11 pm

Thanks Glenn,
I figured that much, cant wait for things to improve.
Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]