FORUMS: list search recent posts

Big trouble relinking media, anyone?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frederico Toscano
Big trouble relinking media, anyone?
on Jul 17, 2018 at 11:46:04 pm

Hi,
I'm having a big problem with a project that I got from another professional.
I opened the .DCP file of his previous version of the project, however he was using the media in his personal RAID HD, so when i imported his project all my media was offline.
So, i linked the media with the original .mxf files in the project HD - but a lot of clips came with a timecode problem. Numerous clips were showing the slate of the movie, so they were not in the correct cut. My solution was disabling the Conform Lock so i found out that the media was linking with the wrong file. However, there are no duplicated files in the HD, I can't see the files Resolve says it has conflict resolution with.
Here's a screenshot to illustrate what's happening:
https://postimg.cc/image/6x7hc8v7f/
As you can see, Resolve's Conflict Resolution is pointing that there are multiple files with the same name in the same path with different timecode. However when i open the Image Path in finder it only shows me one file, so i don't know how to solve this relinking issue without having to change the path of each individual clip out of the 1233 clips.
Anyone can help me with a better way to solve this?
Thank you very much,
Fred.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Big trouble relinking media, anyone?
on Jul 18, 2018 at 1:29:00 am

Lots of potential problems. Is the other editor using proxies or a proxy workflow? Can you get them to send screen shots of how the media is arranged in folders and sub folders. If you can match that (and the drive letter on a Win PC) then you have a better shot at a proper reconnect.

I'm hoping that the other editor was working with matching media file names and timecode. If that relationship has been broken then it that's a problem.

Return to posts index

Frederico Toscano
on Jul 18, 2018 at 4:57:12 am

Yeah he was using a proxy workflow, but the problem is not with the proxy media (witch is in .mov) - the problem is that DaVinci is relinking some raw .mxf file that doesen't exist in the path it points out to. It's showing some duplicated .mxf in the same path of the Master HD where the raw material was logged onto (with different duration of frames witch causes the timecode trouble). I'll try to upload some screenshots to show what's going on. I can upload the .DRP file as well if that helps. Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 18, 2018 at 7:50:57 am

Its relinking incorrectly because it can't find the right file. That can be for many reasons but a major problem with proxy workflows is making sure file names AND timecode are an exact match.

Return to posts index

Frederico Toscano
on Jul 18, 2018 at 5:33:37 pm

The timecode and name of the proxys and arri MXF are correct. The thing is that the other person had already conformed the project with the mxf files - 40% of the movie colour is done. The problem is those duplicated files that I can't understand where they are coming from.
Screenshots:

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 18, 2018 at 11:51:37 pm

Without being able to directly compare the source computer files and folder structure and what you have on your drive, my guess about mismatched proxies made sense but if you are saying you have no issue with that and that you are just dealing with a project that has already been linked to the camera originals, then I am just guessing.

I see the name Consolidate on the main folder. That rings alarm bells because consolidated media usually means new files, truncated with handles. Again if the folder is not actually consolidated media then it's just more guessing. But without the ability to cross compare the source drive and the one you are working with, I can't really help. My gut tells me that you don't have a duplication of the original RAID files that this project was using and that the .drp is pointing to different media that is missing from your drive or structured differently so Resolve can't see it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]