FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting DCP to a lightweight format in DaVinci Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaye Jacinto
Converting DCP to a lightweight format in DaVinci Resolve
on Jul 15, 2018 at 4:57:50 am

I have a film I made 2 years ago. It's just a short but its DCP format is taking a big space in my hard drive. Unfortunately I have lost a lot of my raw footages and materials so I cannot render my film into another format leaving me with only this DCP. I would like to convert it to another format that will be able to retain its quality without being as big as my DCP.

The only programs that I have which can read the files are Resolve. I tried converting it to H.264 with 8000 KBPS but the quality looked awful. Would there be another format which can handle a higher quality without having that big of a filesize?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Converting DCP to a lightweight format in DaVinci Resolve
on Jul 16, 2018 at 4:37:55 am

As far as I know, this cannot be done. One key to post production is: always back up your material and don't lose it.

There's an old theory about storage: if you don't have your data on at least three different drives (preferably in three different places), then you don't really own your data.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Converting DCP to a lightweight format in DaVinci Resolve
on Jul 16, 2018 at 10:31:34 am

DCP's use JPEG2000 wrapped in an mxf. You should be able to read that directly in Resolve and make any other files from it. The audio will be separate but if you just read your DCP file it should have the two mxf's so you can open them in Resolve. Given the price of hard drives and the fact that DCPs typically are about the same file size as a ProRes or DNx220, you should be able to fit your short film DCP on a thumb drive.

I don't understand why you think you can't afford to store it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]