FORUMS: list search recent posts

track & blur a face for part of a shot

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Kaufman
track & blur a face for part of a shot
on Jul 12, 2018 at 4:25:16 pm

I'm new to Resolve and would like to blur a face when someone turns towards camera, but keep the rest of the shot un-blurred. I tried to place key frames where I want the blur to begin and end along the timeline but I must be missing something -- the blur stays in place the whole time. How can I accomplish this?

many thanks,

Thomas Kaufman, DP
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
Re: track & blur a face for part of a shot
on Jul 12, 2018 at 7:06:51 pm

Try youtube - davinci resolve track and blur a face !

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 13, 2018 at 5:30:07 am

[Thomas Kaufman] "I tried to place key frames where I want the blur to begin and end along the timeline but I must be missing something"
You could use a power window to constrain the blur, then use Opacity to allow the blur or remove it as you see fit. But you do have to keyframe it. It's basically dissolving the effect in when you need it, then dissolving it out when you don't need it.

Return to posts index

Thomas Kaufman
on Jul 13, 2018 at 12:21:42 pm

Thanks, Marc, very helpful!

Thomas Kaufman, DP
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jul 13, 2018 at 1:30:52 pm

[Marc Wielage] "then use Opacity to allow the blur or remove it as you see fit."

Most of the time I just do a next frame transform.
Similar to "now you see it, now you dont".
The opacity keyframe works the same but most of the time I am having to key the position anyway.
This is during those tricky tracking settings.
Too bad Resolve didnt have a Adjustment Layer type of option or simple on/off keyframe toggle.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 13, 2018 at 9:08:10 pm

[Eric Santiago] "The opacity keyframe works the same but most of the time I am having to key the position anyway."
It takes less time to do it than explain it.

Another method (if you're keying the entire frame and not just a window) is to use the Key Output control. There are advantages and disadvantages of doing this way, but that's one of the beauties of Resolve: there's often multiple methods for accomplishing the same results.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]