FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best method for lowering red saturation

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
Best method for lowering red saturation
on Jul 11, 2018 at 3:45:03 pm

90% of the time that I spend on post is dealing with oversaturated reds. I shoot in V Log. When I bring the clips into Resolve, I will do color correction, adjust contrast and color saturation. By the time I get the saturation at a nice point, my reds, most notable in my skin tones, is too saturated. I then have to spend copious minutes tweaking this setting or that, which affects the red level in the whole clip, naturally. Outside of qualifying my skin (which is a bitch with my beard and all) is there a tool in Resolve for raising or lowering strictly the red, blue or green levels without affecting to much of the rest of the image?

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto Croce
Re: Best method for lowering red saturation
on Jul 11, 2018 at 6:01:48 pm

Hue versus saturation curve is the key.

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 11, 2018 at 6:42:53 pm

Yes, I've used that. That's the best method? That was my reason for asking.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jul 12, 2018 at 3:41:28 am

There are a lot of techniques for doing one thing in Resolve. You might need to use multiple tools/techniques to get the result you want.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Jul 11, 2018 at 6:12:41 pm

Hi Duke

Do you start with a v-log to rec. 709 lut ?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 11, 2018 at 6:41:44 pm

No, I will either manually adjust black and highlight levels using the custom curve and then increase saturation (Yes, I'm starting with V Log), in which case my face will get more saturated than the surroundings, or else I'll just immediately apply a LUT I created which almost always gives me the look I'm going for, but which also will over saturate my face. I've desaturated to where I want it and created a new LUT, but when I apply it, my skin is still too red.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 12, 2018 at 5:17:35 am

[Duke Sweden] "Outside of qualifying my skin (which is a bitch with my beard and all) is there a tool in Resolve for raising or lowering strictly the red, blue or green levels without affecting to much of the rest of the image?"
What happens if you use a Red Hue vs. Sat curve? That's generally what I do, and it's a lot more gentle than a key per se. If necessary, you can use a tracking window on the person and only affect reds within the window.

Sometimes, a targeted Custom Curve can do it, as with choosing the Red-only curve and making an adjustment there. There's a lot of "it depends" to this.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 12, 2018 at 11:37:31 am

I've tried that, Marc, but it affects the overall image, in my case, anyway. Hue vs. Sat seems to be the easiest way to go for me. Remember, I do this for a hobby. For me, easier is better. Thanks for responding, guys. Cheers!

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 13, 2018 at 12:39:41 am

I did mention using a window, right?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 13, 2018 at 3:13:46 am

Yeah, but here's the problem with windows (or face tracking or anything else meant to isolate). My "takes" are anywhere from 2 to 8 minutes long, and I move around a lot. Again, my stuff is nothing like what you guys work with, scenes that are a few seconds long with little movement (as far as actors). I think I shoot more for having something to play with in Resolve than anything else. You won't be seeing anything of worth from me, unfortunately. But again, I can't tell you how much I appreciate guys like you and all the others who know I'm a hack amateur and still take the time to help. Cheers!

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 13, 2018 at 5:23:31 am

There's always a solution. Make a bigger window that doesn't necessarily get tracked. Or qualify a fairly broad key and just desaturate a little bit (either with a curve or with overall chroma, your choice). There's always a solution... it's a question of how much work you want to do to get there. Me, I just roll up my sleeves and say, "OK... we're gonna do this right." Boom, job done... move on to the next thing.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 19, 2018 at 5:44:26 am

i think the problem is your initial assumption that raising saturation till it gets to a nice point is going to work for all items in the frame. resolve and all other grading programs use a dumb saturation model called L*A*B* which will break apart like glass in a cement truck at the first sign of trouble.

AE kinda had the right idea with vibrance which weighted the reds a little less, but the main problem still is, push all till something breaks or looks garish. Some people have tried using masks or inverted saturation track mattes, but they will never look quite right if not perfect. i.e. a lot of vimeo.

In my grading, like in photoshop for instance, i put a levels effect set to color mode then lower output whites. this compresses the chroma underneath a regular hue/saturation effect 128 is the max rgb value that the subtractive world can reflect pure colors. you can even separate the white output of each rgb channel so they respond uniquely.

with this, you don't need silly plugins like filmconvert.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jul 19, 2018 at 11:58:13 am

I never use silly plugins anymore. I'm a purist. Besides Resolve runs a lot smoother without bogging down my clips with cheesy effects.
Thanks again for the grading lesson, Chris, but as usual it went over my head. I must be getting better, though. This one actually crashed into my scalp 😉
Cheers!

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]