FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does Davinci resolve capture prores in windows os?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Marty
Does Davinci resolve capture prores in windows os?
on Jun 15, 2018 at 10:27:58 pm

I kinda read when dr12.5 came out that the windows version could capture prores but could not output prores.
Is this true for version 15?

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Does Davinci resolve capture prores in windows os?
on Jun 15, 2018 at 11:48:13 pm

Capturing from tape to ProRes would mean having the ability to ENCODE to ProRes, and Windows machines don't have the ability to encode to ProRes. No matter what version of Resolve you have, this is true.

Well, you CAN encode to ProRes, with some third party apps, but they aren't licensed to do so, and the encoder doesn't quite encode ProRes properly. If QC looks at it, it'll kick it. But these apps won't aid Resolve in capturing and encoding to ProRes.

Total stinker, as many many clients want ProRes, and that means double encoding on a Windows system.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jun 16, 2018 at 3:08:23 pm

Hey Shane. Back when I had an Atomos Ninja II (which I used with a Nikon D5500. Can you believe that!?! ;-)) Anyway, I was able to record in ProRes 4:4:4 and work with those files on my old, woefully underpowered PC. I just couldn't export in ProRes. Is that what you meant?

btw, I did find a program called something like Mirabel ProRes for Windows, which as you point out, was nothing like real ProRes.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 16, 2018 at 10:47:04 pm

[Duke Sweden] " I was able to record in ProRes 4:4:4 and work with those files on my old, woefully underpowered PC. I just couldn't export in ProRes. Is that what you meant?"

The Ninja is a device that's cleared to record ProRes. Windows machines cannot encode nor capture to ProRes, as Apple hasn't given them license to. If you get my meaning.

[Duke Sweden] " I did find a program called something like Mirabel ProRes for Windows, which as you point out, was nothing like real ProRes."

Yup...and that will make a file that won't pass QC

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jun 17, 2018 at 2:22:52 am

Thanks for responding, Shane!

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 16, 2018 at 5:21:50 am

Note this is due to decisions made by Apple, so it has nothing to do with Blackmagic or Resolve users per se. One solution is just to buy an affordable Mac (like an iMac Pro) and let that be a ProRes render station. Even some used Macs could do it to a point. The Advanced Linux version can do it ($30K).

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jun 16, 2018 at 12:15:46 pm

Is DNxHD or DNxHR just as good as ProRes, other than in the minds of people who don't know what they're talking about, or is ProRes that much better? I ask, of course, as the amateur that I always point out that I am.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jun 16, 2018 at 2:08:41 pm

[Duke Sweden] "Is DNxHD or DNxHR just as good as ProRes"

Yes, but there are clients/services that require Prores for delivery so you will need some way to make those files. If you're doing stuff just for your own fun then it doesn't really matter.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jun 16, 2018 at 2:55:04 pm

My situation is that I plan to purchase the new bmpcc 4k abd these are the codecs:

CinemaDNG RAW, CinemaDNG RAW 3:1, CinemaDNG RAW 4:1, ProRes 422 HQ QuickTime, ProRes 422 QuickTime, ProRes 422 LT QuickTime, ProRes 422 Proxy QuickTime.

Though my system specs can handle some raw I would rather work in something else.

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jun 16, 2018 at 3:45:54 pm

You can import Prores so you can shoot with a camera that records Prores and bring those files in and work with that. You can't export your work out to Prores and you'll need to use something else.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jun 16, 2018 at 7:02:51 pm

OK you meab I can graf a prores clip into my windows davinci project and work with it then expoRt as whateve.

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jun 16, 2018 at 7:08:47 pm

Yes

Return to posts index

jim williams
on Jul 16, 2018 at 11:25:51 pm

you can bring Prorez in if the drive is formatted Xfat then you will need to have a program to convert it
back to prorez for delivery using a 3rd party app. Just did that. Resolve sees it as prorez. My problem has
only been that drives don't get formatted before they bring me files.
Not sure if this helps
Jim

JamtownColor

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 17, 2018 at 12:35:06 am

[Jim Williams] "you can bring Prorez in if the drive is formatted Xfat..."

Given the number of cameras that shoot Mac formatted cards and ProRes and the common source of media from editors working on Macs, it makes sense to have Mac Drive software on a PC so that you can read/ write to HFS+ drives. I never relying on editors to understand drive formating going from Mac to Win and they don't have to. Mac Drive software is so cheap compared to the endless to and fro of trying to get people to work with exfat.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jul 17, 2018 at 7:12:07 pm

I understand that I can deliver prores from fusion studio. Does this mean I can export from resolve studio to fusion studio and export prores?

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 18, 2018 at 12:03:14 am

Yes I believe that is correct Ricardo. I was hoping to see Win PC ProRes export in Resolve 15 the same as Fusion. Blackmagic are in Apple's hands with this however.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jun 16, 2018 at 3:03:36 pm

Thanks, Tero. As I said I was just asking out of curiosity since, as you pointed out, I do this for fun and delivery codecs aren't important to me.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]