FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX “Ken Burns” effect into Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Witthaus
FCPX “Ken Burns” effect into Resolve
on Jun 1, 2018 at 12:57:07 pm

Will these translate to Reslove via xml? Thanks in advance.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
https://vimeo.com/channels/1322525
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCPX “Ken Burns” effect into Resolve
on Jun 1, 2018 at 2:31:43 pm

Are you using a plugin to create the moves or just keyframing scale information? If a plugin, I doubt it will come across in an xml. If scaling then it will come across but I have found with these sorts of moves it depends on how the system defines the scale - absolute or relative. I know Legend and Pr tend to do absolute scaling on stills images, although Pr gives the option to prescale and then the moves are relative to that. Resolve pre scales and then the keyframe values are relative to that so unless X does the pre scale then relative values it won't track correctly.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 1, 2018 at 5:36:08 pm

99% of the time I can't get the stills to even link properly. If there is keyframing done, yes. But if a plugin is used for this, then no. What I tend to have clients provide, due the the lack of linking...is a full res QT export of their project. If they have a lot of dissolves, then I sometimes ask for a STILLS ONLY export of their project. Or I use their reference QT to rebuild their moves.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 1, 2018 at 10:25:09 pm

Stills are tricky. I tend to pre import footage and not rely on import via the xml. With stills, I often find I have to set Resolve to individual frames as people tend to number stills and they import as an image sequence.

If I get asked before edit starts I ask that stills are not named and numbered in ways that make them look like an image sequence.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 6, 2018 at 1:07:36 pm

Are you finding the stills issue across NLE's that you send to Resolve?

Yes, Resolve is wanky on stills import. Interestingly enough I was able to get at least SOME movement across via the Ken Burns effect (internal FCPX feature). Not the correct movements, scale or rotation, but at least something.

I then re-imported with using key frame animation from the Transform tab in X and no movement at all came across.

No color correction in either test came over. I had thought that even back at R12, the software would import color corrections done in X.

Another interesting thing is that when I import an FCPXML 1.8 file, I get a warning that R15 only supports 1.4 and 1.5. But, if I drop back to a 1.7 xml, it certainly imports but with the problems noted above. It is still in beta I guess. I will test with an older version of X that still might export a 1.5 xml.

Scott Witthaus
Visual Storyteller - FCPX, Premiere

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 6, 2018 at 1:41:45 pm

My experience is that the keyframe info doesn't scale correctly from Legend, X & Pr.

Color correction? No, I would never expect that to come across in any meaningful way via xml or AAF in any system. If it tried to, I would ask for the option to ignore it anyway. Same way I ignore audio EQ and levels from AAFs.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 6, 2018 at 2:48:42 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Color correction? No, I would never expect that to come across in any meaningful way via xml or AAF in any system."

In the 12 version of Resolve, it actually did work. Info here:

https://www.rippletraining.com/articles/free-final-cut-pro-video-tutorials/...

Some of these issues may be because Resolve imported the 1.7 fcpxml, but the pop-up warning told me Resolve only likes 1.4 or 1.5

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 6, 2018 at 2:54:52 pm

It worked for basic color grades, that is.

sw

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 6, 2018 at 11:35:41 pm

Perhaps both the xml compatibility and the lack of grade info is due to the recent changes in X with the new grade tools. I don't know if this is an X or Resolve issue, but it doesn't affect me as I don't want the X grade info. I'm surprised they ever attempted to translate as you say in version 12.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]