FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD and DaVinci Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenneth Maultsby
AVCHD and DaVinci Resolve
on Jun 1, 2018 at 7:53:25 am

My camcorder records in AVCHD dose DR work with this format or do I to convert it to some other format?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: AVCHD and DaVinci Resolve
on Jun 1, 2018 at 8:15:30 am

There's a free version of Resolve so you could easily test if it works.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Jun 1, 2018 at 11:01:58 am

Hi Kenneth,

working with AVCHD or similar compressed formats works with small projects. If a project gets bigger, it will crash at some point. So you have to figure out your workflow.
In our case we convert all UHD files (our shooting codec with different cameras) into ProRes422HQ. So the bottleneck is no longer the CPU of the computer, it is the Raid system. In our case we've got a large thunderbolt3 system, which works great for us. Your personal workflow might be different.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Kenneth Maultsby
on Jun 1, 2018 at 11:51:01 pm

Should have mentioned that I was using a Windows. I have been using DNXHD but I was wondering was it necessary. Any suggestions on Converting software? I have been using EaseFab Video Converter but seems like the process is a little slow to me.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Jun 4, 2018 at 10:51:47 am

Yes it is necessary.
We've used Episode, but they closed it down. At the moment we use PavTube, lots of studios use Squeeze.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
on Jun 9, 2018 at 9:05:29 pm

I've been using AVCHD from my JVC without converting. I just drag and drop the clips. Make sure you set Resolve project settings to same frame rate your clips are in from your camera or you'll get a message asking if you want to convert...

Longest timeline I've had so far is one hour fifty minutes. I'm still pretty new to editing with Resolve. Had been using Avid Media Composer Version 6 on my old 2009 vintage I-7 PC with only 6 gigs of ram.

Although Resolve says it needs 8 gigs, it's running fine on my old PC. Have had the deliver module time out rendering a couple of times. Seems a recent Windows 10 update screwed with the power settings and had hard drives shutting down after 20 minutes. Changed that windows setting. So far, no more problems.

My old PC renders out the timeline at about 2/3 real time! Much faster than going from Avid QT reference and then importing into Squeeze. Saves me hours and hours.

Again, the AVCHD clips from my JVC just drag and drop. Can't speak for 4K.

By the way, I'm not using the v15 beta, but using version 14.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Return to posts index

Kenneth Maultsby
on Jun 11, 2018 at 4:56:09 am

Roger
Thanks for the feedback. What type of hard drive setup are you using for source file Raid of other?

Return to posts index

Roger Van Duyn
on Jun 11, 2018 at 2:59:18 pm

"What type of hard drive..."

No raid. Usually just copy camera card contents to a 7200 rpm sata drive. Occasionally, copy to a USB 3.0 external drive.

Roger

Return to posts index

Paul Draper
on Jun 10, 2018 at 11:47:58 pm

Yes it does, but is directly related to the CPU & GPU processing power.
I work with native GH5 codecs & rarely transcode given the wait time involved & the extra storage space required.
FWIW, you do not need a third party app to transcode to say ProRes or DNxHD: Instead use Resolve's built-in Media Manager to convert the camera files to a format /dir of choice.

Dell T7910 workstation, Win10x64 Pro; 64GB Ram; 2x 12 core Xeons; Nvidia 1080Ti; LG 34UM95 & BenQ SW2700PT, BM DeckLink Mini Monitor 4k. Audio: RME Fireface UFX+, RME ADI-8, UAD-2 quad core PCIe. Resolve Studio, Adobe Premier, Nuendo, ProTools HD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]