FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K Client Monitor

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Camin
4K Client Monitor
on May 24, 2018 at 9:21:51 pm

Hello,

I have a decent Mac Pro and have 2 computer monitors hooked up to it currently. I would like to add a 4K TV as a client viewing monitor while working. I don't know much about Da Vinci, just getting into it, but can I have the 4K TV be a mirror of the playback window?

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
Re: 4K Client Monitor
on May 24, 2018 at 10:28:44 pm

I have a 2013 Mac Pro and cannot get anything on my new OLED LG 4K TV out of the HDMI port on the Mac Pro.
Not sure why.
I just made a post (below yours) about trouble with getting an image from Resolve on the TV using a Blackmagic Ultra Studio Mini Monitor

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 25, 2018 at 3:15:42 am

[Kevin Camin] "can I have the 4K TV be a mirror of the playback window?"

No, even if you force it, this is not necessarily a good idea.

You will encounter an infinity of issues with the calibration/matched look between the various monitors and if you are not careful and invest in a robust characterization, you run the risk of not knowing which one is right. client confidence, not to mention your own, will be out the door.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on May 25, 2018 at 2:40:23 pm

We have all of our monitors and TVs calibrated and they are really, really close, so I'm not worried about that.

How can I get another playback window created in DaVinci for the 3rd screen (4K TV)?

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on May 25, 2018 at 5:52:24 pm

Resolve does not provide accurate color representation in the GUI monitors (computer displays), regardless of whether or not they are calibrated. Resolve is designed to be used with a video output card/device and a calibrated broadcast monitor.

The HDMI output of the Mac Pro is not suitable for outputting baseband video signals - it's an RGB output for a GUI monitor. For proper color monitoring, you'll need a Blackmagic UltraStudio Thunderbolt video I/O device:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudio

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on May 26, 2018 at 12:06:59 am

Thanks for the response. So for people who are using the program on a normal computer monitor are not getting accurate results? You absolutely need to run it through one of their video cards and onto a broadcast monitor?

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on May 26, 2018 at 8:27:37 am

[Kevin Camin] "So for people who are using the program on a normal computer monitor are not getting accurate results? You absolutely need to run it through one of their video cards and onto a broadcast monitor?"
Yes. Read pp. 667-668 of the Resolve 14.3 manual: "Limitations When Grading With the Viewer on a Computer Display." This goes into some detail why you cannot accurately monitor directly from the computer and operating system. You have to have a color-managed output, like one from a Blackmagic display card, preferably on a calibrated external Rec709 display.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on May 28, 2018 at 12:28:01 pm

Hi Kevin,

a break-out card is the best option, otherwise you don't really know what you're doing.
The blackmagic intensity pro 4k works perfectly for us, and is quite cheap (200 bucks)

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]