FORUMS: list search recent posts

LG OLED client monitor HDMI problem

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Krall
LG OLED client monitor HDMI problem
on May 24, 2018 at 8:30:58 pm

I bought a new LG 55" OLED B7A TV (smart TV) to use as a client monitor for editing/grading in Resolve.

I also have a Flanders Scientific as the main reference monitor fed by SDI coming from my Blackmagic Ultra Studio Mini Monitor.

The LG is connected via HDMI from the mini monitor.

The Flanders via SDI always works.

System: Resolve 14, 4K XAVC footage from a Sony F5 on the timeline.
Mac Pro trash can running High Sierra.

The problem: no image on the LG.
Input selection correct, couple of different HDMI cables tried but, no image.
LG screen message “No Signal Detected”.

Hooked up my blu-ray player to new LG, got picture on LG.
Looking good there so, HDMI input on new LG - operational.

A different TV (older Samsung) connected via HDMI to Ultra Studio Mini Monitor, works, no problem so, Ultra Studio Mini Monitor - operational.
And system - operational.

After chatting with a prince of a guy at Blackmagic, he suggested I create a new timeline, set output monitoring to 1080i59.94 in the project settings, put color bars on the timeline and see if the LG would show them.
BAM, color bars on the LG.

Thought the problem was cured but, when I put some footage (4K XAVC) on the timeline, the color bars were still visible but, when I moved the playhead over the footage, no picture.

Thinking something might be fishy with 4K footage or XAVC footage, I put some 1080P ProRes422 footage from my Odyssey 7Q on the timeline, same problem: no picture.

Playhead over color bars = color bars on LG.
Playhead over footage = no picture on LG.

Turns out, 1080i59.94 isn’t necessary in the monitoring output of Project Settings to get the color bars on the LG.
1080P 23.976 works fine but, the problem persists… color bars show on LG but, footage does not.

Does anybody have any idea what might be happening here?

Thank you profusely in advance!
If you can get this working for me and are ever in Dallas, I will by you a steak dinner at one of the fanciest restaurants here.

Richard

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
Re: LG OLED client monitor HDMI problem
on May 25, 2018 at 12:31:21 am
Last Edited By Dmitry Kitsov on May 25, 2018 at 12:32:26 am

Hello, Richard could you contact us via https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/contact/email (please refer to case QGM-663-74156 in a subject line)
I would like to look into this case a bit further.

Dmitry Kitsov,
Blackmagic Design technical support agent

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 25, 2018 at 3:12:50 am

Momentarily switch the output of the HDMI Resolve output to something 1080, allow the LG to recognize the picture, then switch your Resolve output back to UHD or 4096 -- the LG should display a picture. Not new.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on May 25, 2018 at 4:05:34 pm

Hi jPo

I really wish I better understood what you're telling me because I feel I've tried every combination of settings at this point.

You say, "HDMI Resolve output to something 1080".
Where, exactly, should I make this setting? Project Settings? If so, I've done that.

"allow the LG to recognize the picture".
It's never recognized the picture or anything except for Color Bars and pretty much all the Resolve Generator items except for the '4 Color Gradient'.
It also displays type from the titles generator.
It has never displayed a picture when the playhead is over footage.

"switch your Resolve output back to UHD or 4096 -- the LG should display a picture".
The Ultra Studio Mini Monitor will not output this resolution.
It's limited to 1080 or maybe 2K.

Thanks for your input, tho!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 26, 2018 at 3:15:12 am
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on May 26, 2018 at 3:17:42 am

Resolve has project/timeline settings which can be different to the display settings. The feed via the Decklink card is adjustable in the system settings.

Perhaps what you are outputting doesn't match the timeline/project. The default is usually something like 1080 24fps psf. You monitor probably doesn't like this default. Change the settings to match and save these settings as presets so you can apply them when you start a new project.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on May 26, 2018 at 3:57:09 am

We have an LG 55B7A fed by an Avid DNxIQ box, and it displays perfectly every video standard we've thrown at it so far all the way up to UHD/29.97P and the PAL frame rates. This setup also works nicely with HDR video. We do not use 1080/24P, but 1080/23.976P displays fine.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on May 26, 2018 at 6:53:45 pm

Thank you, Bill

I cannot afford one of the items.

As Marc suggested, I'm starting to believe it's an HDCP thing and might be remedied by an HDMI splitter.

Thanks again,
RK

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on May 26, 2018 at 6:43:44 pm

Thanks Michael but, I believe I have exhausted all those possibilities

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on May 26, 2018 at 7:27:26 pm

I think your LG 55" OLED B7A TV have HDMI 2.0b

Has the Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Monitor HDMI 2.0 output ?

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on May 27, 2018 at 3:50:25 pm

I will check with Blackmagic on that.
Thank you

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on May 26, 2018 at 8:26:27 am

[Richard Krall] "The problem: no image on the LG. Input selection correct, couple of different HDMI cables tried but, no image. LG screen message “No Signal Detected”. "
I think the answer is: the HDMI connector is inherently kind of fragile -- both physically and electronically -- and sometimes the HDCP copy protection flag kicks in and shuts off the picture.

One solution is to get a powered HDMI splitter, one that actually strips out the HDCP copy protection, and I bet the problem will go away. Do a search on eBay or Amazon and you'll find different HDMI signal splitters that are actually advertised as being capable of doing this.

I have not had this problem with the HDMI output of a 4K UltraStudio or the Mini-Teranex. I don't think this is BMD's fault -- this is just a problem with HDMI in general, because it's a flawed connector. You won't have this problem with the HD-SDI connection portion of a Mini-Monitor.

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on May 26, 2018 at 6:51:11 pm

Marc - thank you for your input!
That thought has been running around in the back of my mind for a couple of days and had no clue how to rectify it.
Thanks for the HDMI splitter box idea.
After checking Amazon and Ebay, it is very difficult to determine which one will block the HDCP code.
Some of those that supposedly do, have comments from buyers suggesting that newer units of the same model, may not. Possibly, having had firmware installed (on the newer units) that pass the HDCP.

I'm not interested in doing anything illegal, just need to see my own footage on the LG.

I will keep looking.

Thanks
RK

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jun 5, 2018 at 6:24:34 am

The HDCP-removing splitters are all over eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/gds/understanding-hdmi-and-hdcp/10000000177911445/g.ht...

Return to posts index

Richard Krall
on Jun 12, 2018 at 9:46:45 pm

Mark, you sir, get the prize.

The HDMI splitter solved it.
It is one that is a so-called 'splitter/stripper'.

If you are in Dallas for some reason, that steak dinner, I promised in my original post, is yours.
Or, if your a vegetarian, I got you covered on that, too.

Thanks very much for the suggestion!

Richard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]