FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convert R3D RAW file to Prores RAW?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marco Abujamra
Convert R3D RAW file to Prores RAW?
on May 14, 2018 at 3:06:36 pm

Hi,

Does anyone now if it will be possible to convert other raw formats to the new Prores raw? I have an 8k raw feature in editing, and it sounds like handy solution for post - or at least to give it a try. There's a software called RawTherapee that converts other raw formats to Cinema DNG, so, I wonder...

thanks

Marco

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Convert R3D RAW file to Prores RAW?
on May 14, 2018 at 10:50:55 pm

My understanding is that it is a camera format only. I see no advantage in converting between RAW formats, especially as Resolve doesn't read ProResRAW yet.

Return to posts index

Marco Abujamra
on May 15, 2018 at 3:05:34 pm

Thanks for the response. Prores raw is suposed to be lighter/more computer friendly. It is very hard to grade Red 8K raw image. I own a iMac maxed out (not pro), and davinci gets very clumsy with R3D raw. My thoughts are that davinci will probably incorporate the new prores raw. If we could convert from R3D footage to prores raw, without quality loss, it would be good thing, wouldn't it? Maybe 8K raw HALF/RES PREMIUM realtime grading and playback.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 15, 2018 at 10:39:23 pm

Any 8k codec, RAW or otherwise on an imac will be a struggle. ProResRAW isn't magical. It might be slightly more efficient than cDNG or r3d but it's still a RAW image that needs debayering with 8k resolution. Do you have an outboard GPU connected via Thunderbolt?

I think your computer is underpowered for an 8K job. You might be better considering a proxy workflow.

Return to posts index

Marco Abujamra
on May 16, 2018 at 3:26:37 am

You're probably right. But as I'm working with a 4k monitor, grading at half res seems fine, no? I read the iMac Pro maxed out is still underpowered when it comes to 8k raw - so prores raw sounded like a "maybe". Looking out for the new External GPU support, though. Do you know how big a difference should it make on Resolve? I could upgrade my system for this project, but as a Mac guy, I'm not comfortable in buying a very $$$ iMac Pro maxed out, and still don't be able to go all the way 8K raw. Do you think that with an eGPU it should work? And which would be the top of the line? I am intending to go for an 8K monitor soon. Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 16, 2018 at 4:16:42 am

I ditched Apple for a custom PC so I can have decent onboard GPU so I have no experience with eGPU extensions on iMacs. Without a decent GPU, I would not attempt editing 8k RAW.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]