FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing Feature length on Resolve 14

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ayodele Banjo
Editing Feature length on Resolve 14
on May 12, 2018 at 5:28:38 am

I am considering editing a feature length movie on Resolve 14 studio. I want to be able to show the director/producer edit and grade at the same time as well as deliver a DCP without having to leave the resolve environment. Basically i just want to start and finish in one place.

My footage will 5k most likely shot on the RED Dragon. My system specs are;
Hackinstosh
24GB RAM
NVIDIA 1080 GTX 11GB
Core i7
Blackmagic 4K Intensity

Has anyone here ever done a feature length on Resolve? Is it worth trying?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Editing Feature length on Resolve 14
on May 13, 2018 at 6:52:41 am

While it's probaby possible resolve lacks the offline tools that make long forum edits easier.
Media management for a start and then all tge other tools for sorting sifting bin views etc.
That's why most folks still use Avid for long form work.
Scriptsync and phrase find are two key tools.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Andi Winter
Re: Editing Feature length on Resolve 14
on May 15, 2018 at 11:35:03 am

smart bins can be used to sort and manage your media. media management is inside davinci as well. never used script-sync and phrase.

i only did edit with 12.5 a long documentary once, and there were a couple of things i didn't like. in avid or the like i like to duplicate the timeline/sequence just to be on the safe side after certain milestones in editing. in DR it did considerably slow down the project loading, saving etc.
but this seems to work now a lot faster and better, as everything you do is now written inside the db on the fly, very avid like.

so i would say the time has come for fearless editors to use resolve. there are for sure some drawbacks, depending with which software you are comparing, but there are many advantages as well.

as i am mainly a colorist, i have a beefy machine in my office. therefore i am not sure how hardware-hungry DR is nowadays for editing.

nevertheless i would love to read some experiences from editors!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]