FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jerky Playback...

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eduardo Chacon
Jerky Playback...
on Apr 23, 2018 at 2:28:56 pm

Hi everyone… newbie here.

I'm running DaVinci Resolve 15 on a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) with 2x 3.33GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon processors, 48GB of ram and a ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card with 1024MB of ram.

When I try working with 4K footage, it plays (at best) all jerky.
As I import the footage I get the window asking me if I want to change the project's settings to match the footage's, to which I say yes, but it still plays jerky.

Are there any other settings I need to be aware of in order to help smooth playback?

Thanks in advance,
E.C.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Jerky Playback...
on Apr 23, 2018 at 4:36:39 pm

Your GPU is waaayyy underpowered and I'm kinda surprised you were able to get playback at all. Buy a new one with at least 6 or 8 gigs of VRAM if you want to work on 4K projects.

Return to posts index

Eduardo Chacon
on Apr 23, 2018 at 5:22:52 pm

Thanks for your response.
It runs fine for 1080P.

Any suggestions on which card to buy?

Thanks again,
E.C.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Apr 23, 2018 at 5:55:09 pm

I'm not sure if there are drivers for the Nvidia 10XX series on the Mac but I'd suggest a 1070 or a 1080.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 23, 2018 at 7:35:40 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "I'm not sure if there are drivers for the Nvidia 10XX series on the Mac but I'd suggest a 1070 or a 1080."

There are, but you will have to try to move into at least 10.12 for a Pascal card, then find the correct WEB driver for nVidia and your specific OS point release (eg. 10.13.4 (17E199) web driver is 387.10.10.10.30.103) - and every time there is a new point release you will have to refresh the web driver (but wait 48 hours for nVidia to react to one of Apple's "security and stability" releases. Their definition of that is "mess up everyone who is not using our proprietary/approved products."

There is a (kext?) hack to ignore the point release incompatibility because there really is no difference except Apple's boot protocol insists on checking the web driver and rejecting it if it doesn't have the specific OS identifier.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Apr 23, 2018 at 9:52:37 pm

Hey Joseph I searched a bit and can't seem to find a definitive way to do the Kext Hack your talking about.

Would you by any chance have a link or the info required for me to do the Kext Mods myself.

Thanks

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 23, 2018 at 11:21:01 pm

It's not just the GPU. 4K footage has 4x the data rate of 1080p...so you also need VERY fast drives, if your footage is ProRes or DNxHD. if H.264, then yeah, you need a better GPU. But 4K has all sorts of increased demands than 1080, so all aspects of your machine need to be taken into consideration.

And yeah, an 8 year old MacPro with 4K footage...oofie.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]