FORUMS: list search recent posts

Contrast change after update to resolve 15

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tristan Hachmeister
Contrast change after update to resolve 15
on Apr 20, 2018 at 11:45:45 am

Hallo guys and gals,

I recently updated to resolve 15 and now the shift in contrast and color appears again.

My workflow is:

Editing in Premiere, XML-Export to Resolve, Roundtrip to Premiere Pro.
I'm using a MacBook Pro (no Retina). I KNOW, that this is not a professional Monitor, etc.

But with the unchecked "Use Mac Color Display..." box, all Clips set to data-level and Timeline Gamma set to 2.2 I was pretty satisfied and the difference after the roundtrip were hardly visible.

When I open up a project in Resolve 15 now which I graded in Resolve 12, the contrast and Saturation are messed up (blacks fully crashed). In the viewer and also in the parade.

Please don't tell me to buy a professional monitor. I just want the look of Resolve 12 back. Is there a way? Any hidden feature? Did they change the engine or why does this happen?

Thanks in advance for your answers and have a nice weekend!
Cheers
Triz

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Contrast change after update to resolve 15
on Apr 20, 2018 at 3:40:11 pm

[Tristan Hachmeister] "(blacks fully crashed)"

Usually means you have the video range set incorrectly. "Full" RGB vs "Video"Linear -- the difference between 64-940 and 0-1024.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Tristan Hachmeister
Re: Contrast change after update to resolve 15
on Apr 25, 2018 at 5:21:52 pm

I always set all clips to Full after the XML import. I did this also in Resolve 12.
When grading a new project without the stills from 12, it works for me this way:

Setting the Data-Levels of the imported clips in Resolve to "Full", grade them and then (for the roundtrip) set the format to ProRes422 and under the advanced settings set the Data-Level to "Video".

Now the files look the same in both programs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]