FORUMS: list search recent posts

minimum requirements to run Resolve 14 and 15

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Watson
minimum requirements to run Resolve 14 and 15
on Apr 16, 2018 at 10:15:48 pm

I'm currently running my old copy of the Adobe CS 6 suite on a three year old PC. It was big and powerful three years ago, and runs 1080 AVCHD video just fine in PPro without needing to transcode to an easier to edit CODEC. This is even when I'm doing final QA on footage that has motion lower thirds done in AE, and color correction and mild grading, and all that stuff that makes it hard for NLE software to show your footage to you in real time at 30 fps. I'm just sayin' my current machine ain't *that* bad.

That said, I'm really tired of fighting with Adobe's suite of inconsistent UIs and frustratingly different workflows. Looking around, Resolve looks like the ticket for what I do. So I'd like to try it out. Without building a new computer just for that. So I'm trying to find the minimum requirements to run Resolve just to see if my old machine can even run it.

But.... What I find in the docs (e.g. the Hardware Selection and Configuration Guide, hours and hours of web searches, etc.) seems to be just what it takes to run Resolve well, like in a production environment. And if I switch to Resolve, I'll probably build a computer to do just that, and that information will be a valuable guide. But right now I just want to know if I can run it at all on my old machine, so I can find out if I can work with it. That is, if I can adjust my thinking and workflow to fit within the way Resolve wants me to work.

So for now, I need to find out what the minimum requirements are, to see if I can even do an evaluation. I've been looking for days and can't find what I'm looking for. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
Re: minimum requirements to run Resolve 14 and 15
on Apr 16, 2018 at 11:33:07 pm

This might provide answers.

http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/20180407-79c607/DaVinc...

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Apr 17, 2018 at 11:32:19 am

He already said he'd searched through that document. What I suggest you do is just install it and see how it behaves. It's not going to alter any of your Adobe "products". If it's too heavy for your computer just uninstall it and git ta buildin'! ;-)

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 18, 2018 at 1:05:10 am

The easiest reply is: get lots of cores and a very fast, recent 2017-2018 machine. Lots of fast GPUs with lots of VRAM helps, too. And fast i/o.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Apr 19, 2018 at 3:52:50 pm

I tried to find this information some time ago and just gave up. Couldn't even find reference to any Mac OS. Why does BMD keep this a secret? "If you have to ask, you can't afford it?" I got the same brilliant suggestion, "just download it and see if it works." Aii. Sick of Adobe model, don't want a magnetic timeline.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Apr 19, 2018 at 5:21:12 pm

[Robert Withers] "Why does BMD keep this a secret?"

There is the hardware selection and configuration guide that will tell you examples of different configurations and what you might need depending on what resolutions you'd be working on. Also:

[Robert Withers] "I got the same brilliant suggestion, "just download it and see if it works.""

It's free so... Just download it and see if it works?

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Apr 19, 2018 at 5:47:32 pm

[Robert Withers] "I tried to find this information some time ago and just gave up. Couldn't even find reference to any Mac OS. Why does BMD keep this a secret?"

I actually got a reply back from BMD about my minimum requirements request. Not only did they not answer the question, but they also said to just download it, install it, and see what happens. From my back and forth with their "tech. support" I'm left with the opinion that they aren't trying to keep it a secret, it's just that BMD does not know. That is, they don't seem to be doing any backwards compatibility testing (times have changed since I was writing and testing software; every company I worked for did backwards compatibility testing). That seems harsh, but that's the impression they left me with.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Apr 19, 2018 at 5:54:29 pm

Could you post your computer specs so we might take a guess on how it runs?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Apr 19, 2018 at 6:57:19 pm

Thank you for considering my suggestion to be brilliant. It's people like you that made me glad I moved out of NYC.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 19, 2018 at 7:39:13 pm

[Duke Sweden] "Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3"

If it were me, I would up the CPU to 2 x 16-core i9 processors, and I would go with 2 x 1080ti GPUs. 64GB RAM would not hurt, either. What you have will work to a point, but the moment you throw large Raw files at it or need to do intensive processing (particularly NR or OFX), or use a lot of nodes, it'll slow down drastically. A fast RAID is better for i/o. What you have will be fine if you're just using DNxHD files and don't do a lot of processing. H.264 is more problematic, as is 4K-5K-6K.

So there's a lot of "it depends" here.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Apr 20, 2018 at 1:11:42 am

Thanks, Marc, but for what I do I have no problems with this configuration. I usually shoot 4-8 minute monologues in my backyard, which is more woods than backyard, and then practice color grading it. I then upload to youtube so I don't have to clog up my HDD's. I did have 64 gig of RAM at one point but right after I bought that last 16gig I read that I only really needed 16 (I ended up keeping 32 gig). All that other stuff would be sweet but is really overkill for me.

But, as always, thanks for answering this amateur's questions. I really appreciate it. You too, Tero, ya bum ;-)

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Apr 21, 2018 at 1:30:01 pm

The minimum hardware and os requirement are clearly defined at the bottom of the read me for every release.

For your config Duke, v15 should be oh for HD media.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Apr 21, 2018 at 4:15:29 pm

I'm not the one complaining about DR performance on my PC, unless you meant "ok" rather than "oh". It works great even with 4K. I rarely have to generate optimized, just switching to half resolution playback does the trick once I start piling on tweaks.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Bruce Watson
on Apr 21, 2018 at 9:01:49 pm

[Peter Chamberlain] "The minimum hardware and os requirement are clearly defined at the bottom of the read me for every release."

So you have to download the software before you can figure out whether it makes sense to download the software? Great.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Apr 21, 2018 at 9:08:01 pm

Here's an idea. Don't download it. Keep using what you're using. Everybody's happy.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Apr 21, 2018 at 10:10:57 pm

[Bruce Watson] "So you have to download the software before you can figure out whether it makes sense to download the software? Great."

Actually you don't because there's the "read more" link next to the download buttons on the BMD support page, but you keep whining about every single thing so maybe you've made up your mind about it already. The readme does have some minimum specs but probably not as detailed as you would want because there are different kinds of minimum specs depending on what one is trying to accomplish. Do you want to just barely start the program? Do you want to work in HD? Do you want to work in 4K? Do you want to work in 4K in realtime? Etc.

I asked this before but if you can post your computer specs we can help you with this if trying the fully featured free version of the software is out of the question for some reason.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Apr 22, 2018 at 12:29:12 am

I haven't been following the attitudes and exchanges here but yes clicking on the "Read More" links on the download descriptions does bring up a page that lists minimum and system requirements for each version. Who'd have guessed? Most software developers don't hide their requirements so carefully. This is helpful information.
Thanks.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]