FORUMS: list search recent posts

Generating Panasonic V LUT (.vlt) in Resolve. GH5 doesn't recognize file NEVERMIND

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
Generating Panasonic V LUT (.vlt) in Resolve. GH5 doesn't recognize file NEVERMIND
on Mar 28, 2018 at 12:39:59 pm
Last Edited By Duke Sweden on Mar 28, 2018 at 12:49:56 pm

Once again I stumble upon the solution after posting my question. Don't know why but it works now which is great! So much easier than using LUTCalc.
*****************************************************************************************************************************

The GH5 allows you to load a LUT in camera so that you can get a general idea of what you're getting when you shoot in V Log. The problem is, the camera doesn't recognize the .vlt file when generated from Resolve. I can generate it (.vlt) in an online converter but it would be so much easier to just click once and create the .vlt. You have to jump through a lot of hoops in the online version.

Anybody familiar with the Resolve method of creating .vlt files?

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Generating Panasonic V LUT (.vlt) in Resolve. GH5 doesn't recognize file NEVERMIND
on Mar 28, 2018 at 7:07:14 pm

did you create a technical lut or a creative one? I'm curious if it fairs better than panasonic's official one or mine.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
Re: Generating Panasonic V LUT (.vlt) in Resolve. GH5 doesn't recognize file NEVERMIND
on Mar 28, 2018 at 8:16:10 pm

Hey Chris!
I really don't know the difference as far as what a technical LUT does compared to a creative LUT. All I know is I started off with a V Log file, I did some tweaking and came up with what, to me, is the perfect grade on footage shot on overcast days. I created a LUT for Resolve from that, and it works perfectly every time I place it on similar footage.

Today I converted it to a .vlt file and uploaded it to my camera and it looks great. My other LUT made my skin look too red/purplish, although as you know it doesn't actually affect the footage.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Generating Panasonic V LUT (.vlt) in Resolve.
on Mar 30, 2018 at 2:39:54 am

any examples of your new lut?
does your skin fall on the skin tone line?
does it work in high contrast?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Mar 30, 2018 at 3:00:37 am

2. Yes, perfectly

3. I'm not big on high contrast but I don't know if what you consider high contrast is what I consider perfect contrast. Give me more info.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 30, 2018 at 3:16:35 am

great job on the tonal contrast and skin tone! musta spent some time on this one for sure.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Mar 30, 2018 at 1:23:05 pm

Thanks! Actually I was messing around with one shot, got it looking nice, and then added either the M31 or the V6 LUT and got an amazing color tone, a bit blue but I cut down that node's effect in the keying panel. That's what I made the LUT from. I actually applied it to those two videos with minimal tweaking (depending on how bright it was at the time I shot the video). And that's it. I won't pretend to be a grading genius. It was pure luck.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Mar 30, 2018 at 1:40:18 pm

Here is a still from the actual clip I created the LUT from.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]