<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Latty
Audio Timecode Metadata
on Mar 26, 2018 at 7:11:46 pm

Resolve 14.3
Shooting Helium
Syncing sound by TC in media window
Exporting to MXF +ALE for metadata

Once you have synced sound by timecode in the media window is there a way to set thw metadata to include audio timecode (as distinct from camera tc) in the metadata? This would be in addition to the camera timecode already included. I see there is a slot for Audio TC in the resolve metadata but it does not populate when I auto sync by timecode. And the audio timecode column is not populated in Avid.

The reason to include this audio timecode in metadata: The assistant editor has asked for it! Sync has generally been perfect on this project. So in Avid he can copy and paste source timecode to audio timecode column. But we are trying to prepare for when sync is off. Having the original Audio tc embed in the dailies metadata would point you to the correct audio tc in and out points for any offset clip (after you have adjusted sync manually in Resolve). Otherwise this offset is lost in the metadata.

This seems like something possible to do.. Especially since resolve is doing other stuff with the audio tc. For instance audio tc can be included as a burn in.

Thanks
Stephen

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Audio Timecode Metadata
on Mar 30, 2018 at 8:43:20 am

Call me crazy: the job of the assistant editor IS to sync up the picture and sound.

If it isn't the same, yell at the crew and make them get a jam box on the camera that syncs with the sound timecode. In general, camera timecode is not as reliable and will drift under some cases. Sound timecode is usually pretty rock-solid. The sound recorder, a timecode slate, and the camera should all be jammed at least once every 4-5 hours (even with a atable TCX oscillator).

Even if the assistant has to sync up with just sticks, and camera and sound timecode are different, it should not take more than :30 seconds per take. A moron in the middle of the night can do hundreds of takes in a few hours (and I was that moron on occasion).

It is automatic under ideal circumstances -- like when camera, sound, and slate are all precisely in sync. And that often happens with the right gear and the right people.

Return to posts index

Stephen Latty
Re: Audio Timecode Metadata
on Mar 30, 2018 at 5:45:36 pm

I appreciate workflow discussions. It is true that syncing sound is traditionally an assistant editors job. However technology changes, best practices change, workflows change. In a contemporary workflow we are trying to maintain connectivity to as much of the metadata throughout the pipeline as possible. By embedding sound metadata (and other metadata) at the point of transcode (which happens on set), we maintain metadata integrity. To me this is more important than the question of who syncs the sound. The syncing (sync is generally on as you say with good crew) is usually easy. My question is about maintaining the integrity of the audio timecode metadata, which currently seems to get lost at sync in resolve, but for no good reason. Even though it generaly ought to be the same as camera,, it would be useful to have it included as separate metadata for those times when tc sync cannot be maintained.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]