FORUMS: list search recent posts

Batch Audio/Video sync, Edit in Premiere Pro

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Dantonio
Batch Audio/Video sync, Edit in Premiere Pro
on Mar 19, 2018 at 12:51:13 pm

I have about 150 audio and video files from a short film shoot that I'd like to batch sync up and then do the editing in Premiere Pro (where I'm most comfortable). I've heard that DaVinci Resolve is the best for this. The only thing that's similar between these two files will be the waveform (I used a slate). The dates, times, file names don't match in anyway and there are a handful of extra audio and video files that won't sync up to anything (someone hit record by accident and recorded 5 seconds of nothing, etc.).

#1 - Is DaVinci Resolve the best for this?
#2 - Can I easily export to PP? If so, how?

Also, I would like to rename the files once they're synced.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Batch Audio/Video sync, Edit in Premiere Pro
on Mar 20, 2018 at 8:38:00 am

Why not just edit completely in Premiere if that's what you're comfortable doing? I don't think Resolve is better or worse at syncing per se. I believe Plural Eyes can batch sync within Premiere (at least it did 2 years ago, the last time I tried it).

If it's just syncing up 150 files, that's not that big a deal. It wouldn't take 1 minute to do this manually in almost any program (Resolve included), and that would be under 3 hours. Renaming the files would be more complicated, and that would most likely involve a lot of user intervention. If all the files were from a single shoot, my advice would be to not change the file names radically. You could add a prefix for (say) shoot day. followed by the original file name, like "032018_C001" for the first file, "032018_C002" for the second, and so on. There are numerous file-renaming utilities that can do this within the operating system.

Return to posts index

Nick Dantonio
on Mar 20, 2018 at 2:35:24 pm

Would PP be as good as DaVinci for batch syncing the audio and video files?

Return to posts index

Nick Dantonio
on Mar 20, 2018 at 7:58:37 pm

I'm specifically looking to batch sync.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Mar 20, 2018 at 9:36:26 pm

Well, the procedure for Batch Syncing dailies in Resolve starts on page 220 of the Resolve 14 manual, along with several good manual techniques.

Return to posts index

Nick Dantonio
on Mar 20, 2018 at 10:00:52 pm

Thanks! Once they're synced in Resolve, can they be exported or sent to Premiere Pro?

Return to posts index

Nick Dantonio
on Mar 20, 2018 at 10:20:23 pm

...or do I have to do my editing in DR now?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Mar 21, 2018 at 11:06:42 am

[Nick Dantonio] "Thanks! Once they're synced in Resolve, can they be exported or sent to Premiere Pro?"
Well, I'm guessing it would work if you export an XML per each timeline. Do a test and see what happens.

I'm not sure I get why you sync in Resolve and edit entirely in Premiere. Why not sync and edit in Premiere, if that's you're preferred program?

Return to posts index

Nick Dantonio
on Mar 21, 2018 at 11:59:58 am

My research showed that Resolve was the better program to batch sync audio and video. I was hoping to batch sync everything in Resolve and be able to edit in Premiere. But it seems like exporting all the files from Resolve would take a lot of work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]