FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why my video looks different after the render ?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bastien Dreyer
Why my video looks different after the render ?
on Feb 27, 2018 at 1:26:01 pm

Hello,

I'm a beginner with Resolve and this is my first project.
I shot a video with the mini-Alexa in Arriraw.

I edited the project in Resolve and I added a LUT "Film LOOKS" in the entire video wich I applied in Group Post-Clip.

When I exported my video, the blacks looks completely different that in my timeline. It's flatter than before and I lost all the depth.I exported in H264 with the Vimeo's plugin available in Resolve (in the Deliver part).

I'm sure I missed something. If you can help me. Thank you !!

Before and After the render :

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Why my video looks different after the render ?
on Feb 27, 2018 at 6:12:56 pm

[Bastien Dreyer] "I exported in H264 with the Vimeo's plugin available in Resolve"

That's why. H.264 is a compressed format. In order to reduce file size, color information and chroma samples are thrown out. This will change the way the image looks. It will be close, but not spot on.

Also...and I say this a lot....the VIEWER in Resolve is NOT color accurate. It isn't designed to be. For a true representation of what you are looking at you need video IO from Blackmagic, and then a good, calibrated HDTV or broadcast monitor.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 28, 2018 at 3:34:29 am

I can confirm, not that Ross needs it, that when you use those Vimeo or Youtube presets they compress the crap out of your file. I had a 6 gig file. I never use those presets but one time I thought I'd try the youtube preset, and it scrunched it down to like 400mbps, and it looked like crap.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

Bastien Dreyer
on Feb 28, 2018 at 5:47:46 am

Well, ok.
But what should I do if I want to put the video on Vimeo and have the same contrast than in my timeline ?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 28, 2018 at 6:28:56 am

First you have determine if you have a gamma problem or simply that your different viewers are the problem. By comparing Resolve's display to VLC you may be simply seeing the difference between how two different software players display. You may also have a problem with VLC's gamma settings. So firstly export your Vimeo spec file and a section in Uncompressed 10 bit 422. Compare them in VLC and see if there is any difference.

Also reimport the Vimeo file in Resolve and see if it looks the same as the original. My guess is there will not be a difference in gamma, just the difference between two uncalibrated players.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 28, 2018 at 6:37:21 am

There's also the GPU based settings that can affect video overlays or the overall levels of the monitor. On Nvidia cards the settings can be found in the Nvidia control panel. Dunno about AMD cards but they should have something similar.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]