FORUMS: list search recent posts

First post - why won't audio play in the edit timeline, Resolve 14

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neal Reville
First post - why won't audio play in the edit timeline, Resolve 14
on Feb 19, 2018 at 6:22:22 am

Hi all. Well here I go with my first post, but earlier than I thought! I recently upgraded to the latest version of Resolve and have spent some time setting it all up. Everything seems to work smoothly, except ... When I add an audio file to the timeline, either on it's own or with a video file, there is no output while playing. In fact the audio shows no life at all. I can see the waveforms on the monitors easily enough, and on the timeline, but not a sound.

While playing or scrubbing the clips there is no sign of life in the meters on the edit page, or the Fairlight page, and not a sound from the speakers. All of these video/audio clips work perfectly in VLC and other players, but not in Resolve.

I have searched the manual for several days, gone through all the menus for hidden options I may have missed to no avail. Some of the audio files are commonplace WAV's and AC3's , some Linear PCM's - all normal stuff I have used for years.

If anyone has any ideas, I would certainly welcome your input as I'm beginning to tear my hair. I don't think many others are having the same problem as I've searched this forum (and the Black Magic one) without result. I'm willing to admit defeat and hope that wiser heads can show me what a dunce I've been.

Neal Reville

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: First post - why won't audio play in the edit timeline, Resolve 14
on Feb 19, 2018 at 8:57:22 am

Operating system? Hardware? Are you trying to play the audio through an I/O device or a soundcard? Have you checked the "use system audio output" in the video and audio I/O settings?

Return to posts index

Neal Reville
on Feb 19, 2018 at 11:27:41 am

Thanks for your reply, Tero. I should have mentioned that I am running Win 10 Pro. In fact the whole computer is new (a few weeks) and was built to suit Resolve. Accordingly, it has a very fast CPU, a high-end motherboard and an 11Gb GPU.

It also has a BM mini Monitor 4K card feeding the picture monitor and the results are spectacular. Except, of course, it's very quiet ...

I'm trying to play the audio through the motherboard 5.1 surround (Realtek) or stereo as the case may be and, again, the results are excellent except for the silence from Resolve.

Yes, I have tried the audio with "use system audio output" both selected and unselected and also in both stereo and in 5.1 mode, but nothing I try makes any difference. I feel the error must be somewhere in Resolve and I fear it must be something I have overlooked as the program, downloaded about a week ago, seems to work perfectly otherwise.

Neal Reville

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Feb 19, 2018 at 12:28:59 pm

If you right click with your mouse on speaker icon - when the Davinci Resolve program is opened - and choose
Open Volume - is the volume upscaled?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 19, 2018 at 12:55:20 pm

[Neal Reville] "Yes, I have tried the audio with "use system audio output" both selected and unselected and also in both stereo and in 5.1 mode"

In addition to this you'll need to set the outputs in the speaker setup menu. If you have un-assigned outs in the output drop downs the sound isn't going anywhere.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 19, 2018 at 1:39:43 pm

And, possibly, the audio volume control may have defaulted to "mute"? Possibly? I only add this because I've never had this problem on my less than specc'd out PC. I think a key clue here is that the audio meters don't move at all.

Don't put too much weight into my solution. I'm just giving another possible cause.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 19, 2018 at 3:58:18 pm

1st step is to narrow your focus. You mention you are using all types of audio files....that is not a great way to troubleshoot the issue. Pick one file type and try it, and report back its exact specs. In the old days Resolve could only work with 48k audio. 44k would not produce any sound. I think that has been changed, but I'm not positive.

Help us out by first making sure the specs of your audio should work. If you are not seeing meters moving, then the cause might be your audio format.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 19, 2018 at 6:08:45 pm

In the old days Resolve could only work with 48k audio. 44k would not produce any sound. I think that has been changed, but I'm not positive.

Yes, I can confirm that has been changed. I can drop any format audio file into my timeline and it will play and render out. In my case, mp3's and wav files.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 19, 2018 at 7:18:46 pm

Code -18?

There used to be an Enable Audio checkbox in system config before there was Fairlight. But now there are multiple locations to intervene in how audio is presented to the system.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Neal Reville
on Feb 21, 2018 at 4:56:02 am

Thank you all very much for your replies. I have tried/checked them all but no luck. I am going to go back to first base and re-install Resolve. I have never had this before in any editing program and seeing as 99.99% of users don't have this problem now, it must be peculiar to my set-up.

Thanks again, and best wishes.

Neal Reville

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 21, 2018 at 9:18:31 am

When I was using Premiere Pro I always had problems peculiar to just my PC, and often read of other people's problems that was unique to them. I hope you get your problem sorted out. Good luck!

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]