FORUMS: list search recent posts

DaVinci Resolve 14.3 constantly crashing

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason ryan
DaVinci Resolve 14.3 constantly crashing
on Feb 18, 2018 at 3:11:24 am

I started a project in DaVinci Resolve 14.3. The editor gave me a flattened master of a 22.5 minute show, so I did scene detection to split it up into multiple clips so I could grade them individually. But I can only get a little ways into grading before it crashes. It usually crashes while I'm working on grading a clip, like adjusting the curve or midtones. Sometimes it crashes while playing back a clip. It seems to not crash as soon if I've rebooted my computer first.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Jason Ryan
http://www.psychicflyingmonkey.com

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: DaVinci Resolve 14.3 constantly crashing
on Feb 18, 2018 at 1:32:16 pm

What OS? What specific hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, I/O)? What type of camera source files?

It should be no problem using a scene-detected timeline, particularly for something as short as 22 minutes. I've done at least 4 features so far this year that were handed to me as a single flattened file (3 on film, 1 digital), and the number of crashes were minimal. These were all ProRes 444 2K on Mac OSX 10.12.6.

Return to posts index

jason ryan
on Feb 18, 2018 at 4:39:09 pm

Thanks for the response, Marc. Here are my system specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3.00 GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: AMD Radeon R5 200 series graphics card
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage Extreme Motherboard
I/O: I'm just using keyboard and mouse, no control surface

The original camera source files were Pro Res from the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, but I’m using the flattened master from the editor, which was rendered in ProRes 422 HQ.

Thanks!

Jason Ryan
http://www.psychicflyingmonkey.com

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 18, 2018 at 5:40:17 pm

[jason ryan] "Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit "

Resolve officially supports only Windows 10 at this point so you might run into some snags.

[jason ryan] "AMD Radeon R5 200 series graphics card"

You didn't give any specific specs so I'll have guesstimate that this card has either 1 or 2 gigs of VRAM. 2 gigs is barely enough for HD footage and this is probably why your computer is crashing.

Return to posts index

Bill Russell
on Apr 2, 2018 at 5:37:14 am

I'm running 14.2 Studio. 14.1, and then the 14.2 upgrade in an attempt to fix, started crashing. A lot. I've found a correlation between the crashes and using all flavors of Prores codecs. I'm not 100% as I haven't gone back to test it, but here are the clues:

The crashing started about the time I upgraded to Studio. I thought that was it, however, recently I had allowed Apple to do a pro-media codecs upgrade. Hmm, let me try a non-apple codec in Resolve. I changed optimized media and caching to DNxHR flavors. After that, things have been working pretty well. It is now a couple of months later and the beefy Documentary I am mastering -- including a lot of editing of AE animation outputs, restorative work of archival, as well as replacements with final masters for archival and stock footage, in other words, heavily layered grading, noise reduction and use of many gpu OFX fx -- it's behaving rather well. It seems it will allow me to have Prores sources, which it then optimizes and caches as DNxHR, and it will allow me to export Prores. But I've nixed any internal digestion of Prores and Resolve's stomach seems to be feeling better.

The way to confirm is to go back and change caching then play around a bit. Haven't. But the correlation was pretty strong, and I'd done nothing else other than switch to DNx to try to fix things. (Well, I did other things -- 14.2, downgrade to Resolve, etc., to no avail -- but restored my install, so DNxHR is the only lasting change from initial conditions.)

"THE LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA" -

And more...

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Apr 2, 2018 at 9:33:32 am

Hi

Your computer is underpowered for Davinci Resolve 14 - are your hard drives slow too ?

Best,
Ole

Return to posts index

Bill Russell
on Apr 4, 2018 at 11:42:26 am

It's mainly that my GPU is older with not a ton of memory.

"THE LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA" -

And more...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]