FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac choice for Resolve 14

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Mac choice for Resolve 14
on Feb 15, 2018 at 8:21:10 pm

I've read the manual, which offers specific computer advice, but I'd like some independent advice from someone who has used Resolve with the iMac, iMac Pro, and MacBook Pro.

I've given up trying to use Resolve on my fairly fast but dated (2014) MacBook Pro.

Thanks.

Bob C.

Return to posts index

John Knapich
Re: Mac choice for Resolve 14
on Feb 16, 2018 at 3:38:37 pm

I use Resolve 14 on a 2012 iMac and mid-2012 Tower (with an nvidia titan card).

2012 Mac Tower
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Blackmagic Decklink Extreme 3D+

Return to posts index

Richard Mazikowski
on Feb 16, 2018 at 5:28:50 pm

Amount GPU memory matters when using DaVinci Resolve. I'm running it on the iMac 27 quad core with 4gb of GPU and it runs pretty well. Having a fast external cache drive helps as well. My renders are about real time on larger projects. I also have a new iMac Pro with 16gb of GPU I haven't had any issues even with 8k sources.

Richard Mazikowski
rmazikowski@comcast.net
http://vimeo.com/maz1

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Feb 16, 2018 at 7:06:38 pm

From my experience it's GPU and RAID.
CPUs not so much.
I run 12.5 on a 2012 MacPro as well as 2013 fully loaded.
I use to have the CUBIX and a few Quadros in the past.
For what I do, it was overkill.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Feb 17, 2018 at 10:31:15 am

A lot depends on what kind of performance you expect from Resolve. In my opinion, even the recent MacPro laptops and iMacs are just not fast enough or expandable enough to do much. The iMac Pro can definitely work if you get it fairly souped-up with additional RAM and the best GPUs. My opinion is that you're better off with a top-flight Mac Pro, preferably one with at least 12 cores and 64GB of RAM, plus a couple of beefy GPUs. (You can make a good argument that a top Windows PC can be put together for less money and a lot more speed.)

Blackmagic's configuration guide goes into the minimum specs in a lot of detail, and they keep this fairly current.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]