FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media pool search -- really doesn't search all bins?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Russell
Media pool search -- really doesn't search all bins?
on Feb 13, 2018 at 11:23:00 pm

I must be nuts, but entering items in the Media Pool search bar seems to only search the selected bin. At the top level, "Master", it finds precisely nothing. Tell me this is not how DR 14.2 Media Pool search really works! I wondered why the heck it wasn't finding clips I knew I had until I realized it was not recursing bins. Am I missing something simple?

Also, is there no way to search for clips on a timeline?

Thank you, somebody, for your help!

- b

"THE LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA" -

And more...

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Media pool search -- really doesn't search all bins?
on Feb 14, 2018 at 11:51:58 pm

Nope your not missing anything, 12.5.6 is the same. Searches net absolutely nothing and I'm a bit PO'd that it hasn't been fixed in 14. Maybe 14.3 will "Resolve" this issue.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Bill Russell
on Feb 15, 2018 at 3:09:52 am

Heh, good one.

Okay, a weird omission on both counts for a video editor. Hm...

And more...

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Feb 15, 2018 at 9:23:37 am
Last Edited By Peter Chamberlain on Feb 15, 2018 at 9:49:31 am

When you want to search within specific selected bins, you can as it is today. When you want to search all, consider smart bins, or just select them all, CTL A.

Return to posts index

Bill Russell
on Feb 15, 2018 at 11:09:30 am

Ah, thank you, it's clunky but a smart bin is a way to find a clip in the media pool. Unfortunately there seems to be no way to search for a clip in the timeline. The DR editor is a wonderful thing, though clearly it still has a ways to go before it's really ready for prime time. I'm using it, but sure am missing it's structural mentor, the robust FCP7 (RIP)!

And more...

Return to posts index

Bill Russell
on Feb 16, 2018 at 12:31:39 pm

So, the way I'm "searching" for clips in the timeline is to export and EDL, open that up in a text editor, search for the clip name, then reference its timecode in the timeline.

Needless to say ...

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Feb 17, 2018 at 10:38:10 am

[Bill Russell] "So, the way I'm "searching" for clips in the timeline is to export and EDL, open that up in a text editor, search for the clip name, then reference its timecode in the timeline. "
My workaround for this is to organize a separate bin in the Media Page for each timeline, and that way I can immediately zero in on a clip that's gone missing or a situation where I have the wrong version of a specific clip. It takes a little more time and trouble to do so, but once it's done it works very well.

The USAGE column in the Media Page is also very helpful at pinning down what's there and what isn't needed.

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Feb 22, 2018 at 1:28:43 am

Bill, in the edit page, look at edit index, there is a column called name that shows all the clip names in the timeline.
you can search within that name field for any clip you are looking for.

no need to export list

Return to posts index

Bill Russell
on Mar 25, 2018 at 2:47:35 am

I never responded, Peter, but I wanted to thank you. Yes, the edit index -- very powerful, this is the answer, works fine and have been using it ever since you enlightened me (us). Much appreciated.

Smart Bins and Edit Index. (Smart bins are great, powerful, mature, though sometimes it would be nice to just do a quick search of everything without setting one up. Anyway, good answers and much appreciated. )

And more...

Return to posts index

Bill Russell
on Mar 25, 2018 at 2:54:11 am

I never responded, Peter, but I wanted to thank you. Yes, the edit index -- very powerful, this is the answer, works fine and have been using it ever since you enlightened me (us). Much appreciated.

Smart Bins and Edit Index. Oh, and CTRL-A for a quick search of all bins. Yup, it's all there. Not obvious, which is duly Avid-esque, but sensible and straightforward (rather than endearingly bizarre Avid-esque kluge of antiquity).

And more...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]