FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve slowing to a crawl

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
Resolve slowing to a crawl
on Feb 8, 2018 at 2:43:06 pm

This is so aggravating. Resolve used to run like butter but now it's just ridiculously laggy. I'm using optimized video (DnXHD 720 SQ, for cryin' out loud!), set Render cache to "User", and checked "Render cache clip output". The timeline is showing blue so it's rendered, and still it lags at like 4 to 8 frames per second while the audio is choppy. The video is green screen with nothing applied to it yet, just raw footage, with hardly any movement.

I've cleared my cache, and I really can't think of anything else to do. Help, please!

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Resolve slowing to a crawl
on Feb 9, 2018 at 2:13:18 am

What drive is the render cache on? Resolve defaults to the system drive unless you have directed it to a drive that is not system, big enough and fast enough but with that codec you should have no problems. Check preferences

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 9, 2018 at 4:13:17 am

Hey Michael. I have my OS and Resolve on C drive, source files and render cache on F drive, and I export out to H drive. I just shot some regular footage today and it's behaving ok. For some reason the greenscreen stuff, which, as I said, is nothing more than me in front of a green screen with no keying or anything else done to it, is impossible to work with. I'm trying to do some tight edits and it just can't be done with the way the files are behaving. I don't even want to think what it's gonna be like once I do my keying and color correction and stuff.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 9, 2018 at 4:35:44 am

I've not had such issues with render files on a fast enough drive. Is the F drive anywhere near full? What are you using to do the green screen? A 3rd party OFX plugin or just using Resolve?

Have you tried deleting the renders in case something has become corrupted and just letting it re-render.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 9, 2018 at 8:28:07 am

[Michael Gissing] " Is the F drive anywhere near full?"

This can affect the performance. If the drive is starting to fail it can also get slow. You could check your drives with the disk speed test.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 9, 2018 at 11:55:31 am

I've not had such issues with render files on a fast enough drive. Is the F drive anywhere near full?
Not even close. Still over 800gigs of free space.

What are you using to do the green screen? A 3rd party OFX plugin or just using Resolve?
Resolve. I love how clean my keys are. But, as I said, it's happening before I apply anything to the clips.

Have you tried deleting the renders in case something has become corrupted and just letting it re-render.
If you mean the optimized clips I've re-optimized 4 times already. And as I mentioned last night I shot some regular footage outside earlier that day and those clips gave me no problem whatsoever. Weird.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 9, 2018 at 12:11:39 pm

What is your render cache format?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 9, 2018 at 1:09:29 pm

What do you mean? I have no idea what render cache format is or how to set it. And don't tell me to look at the manual!!! ;-)

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 9, 2018 at 1:39:12 pm

[Duke Sweden] "What do you mean?"

Optimized media and cache media can be in different formats and they have their own setting.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Feb 9, 2018 at 2:52:23 pm

Holy Moly Duke ☺

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 9, 2018 at 8:47:39 pm

Oh, see why I was confused? I already SAID that I was optimizing to DNxHD 720 SQ!!!! ;-)

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 9, 2018 at 8:49:29 pm

Yes. But the optimized media and cache can be set to different formats. So you have them both set to DNxHD?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 9, 2018 at 9:02:45 pm

YES!!!!!!!!!!! 😵

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Feb 9, 2018 at 9:13:27 pm

and Optimized Media Resolution to Half

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 9, 2018 at 11:09:10 pm

Yep

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 9, 2018 at 11:49:35 pm

So try deleting the render cache for that project (not your optimised media) and allow to re-render.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 10, 2018 at 3:44:04 am

I'll give it a shot. Thanks, Michael! And Tero. You too, Ole ;-)

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
on Feb 11, 2018 at 12:06:24 pm

Duke; Aside from the possible Resolve issues, as Tero says, a failing mechanical drive can cause dramatic slowdowns as the very-smart drive system tries to work around failing read and writes. It is really rather amazing how much error correction happens under the hood.

A failing mechanical drive--as distinct from an SSD drive--may also take forever to boot up and to shut down. Again, it is trying to sort things out.

Housecleaning a PC is a routine chore for paranoid folks like myself. Routinely run CCleaner (free download, https://www.ccleaner.com/https://www.ccleaner.com/) and Windows command line chkdsk for each drive.

Even though file detritus seems innocuous it is in fact a demanding burden as the PC tries to enumerate and organize tens or hundreds of gigabytes of old files. Takes time. That's one reason a new PC seems so fast but quickly becomes noticeably slower.

Also, I have Hard Disk Sentinel (https://www.hdsentinel.com/) running in the background. It monitors temperature, fill rates, error messages, SMART and has various read/write tests. Another bit of confidence and insurance when things start acting in unexpected ways.

Presumably you are not using the main C drive for Resolve files; nevertheless another clue that a drive is failing is a failure to clone. You probably have a disk image or clone made every month or so to prevent that worst of disasters, an unrecoverable boot drive. If there are drive sectors that cannot be read then the clone image fails, even though the drive --mostly--seems to behave normally.

Also, SSDs get old. And when they do, even when they are supposedly far from their stated number of rewrites, then they can so south in an instant, which is not usually the case with spinning drives, which tend to try to chug along.

Best wishes! Mike

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 11, 2018 at 1:01:12 pm

Hey, MikeMac! I'll call you that to differentiate between you and Michael Gissing.

Well, I read your comment and none of those points holds true. The HD is only about 8 months old, as is this PC. I DO, in fact, run my own system check software in the background, O&O, which does all those things plus defrags at night when I'm not using the PC. I keep my Resolve files, by which I assume you mean the video files that I work on, on a separate drive from the one Resolve is on, and I render to a 3rd HD. It's not exactly a RAID or Thunderbolt setup but it's served me well. And, again, the odd thing is I shot some new footage yesterday which played fine in Resolve. The only problem I've had is with this recent greenscreen shoot. The final result of that project came out so bad I just deleted the whole mess.

Anyway, the problem has resolved (get it? HA!) itself for now. I guess the next time I shoot greenscreen I'll try the smaller file size choice on the GH5, 150mb instead of 400mb and see what happens.

Cheers!

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
on Feb 11, 2018 at 8:17:52 pm

Duke; glad to hear that the tooth fairy brought you a nice present! Has happened to me, too, when I am at my wits end!

Great tip regarding O&O software; they certainly have an impressive range of diagnostic products.

Seriously, sometimes it seems that the tooth fairy is the only explanation. Or Whoever runs this universe finally has mercy on the poor soul beating their head against a wall.

I have also come to have this view: some software, such as Resolve or any major NLE or graphics program such as Photoshop, Maya or AutoCAD, is now so complex that no one human being can fully embrace even one of them.

Or, I have found that taking a nice relaxing walk helps: seriously, it seems that the pieces of the puzzle have a chance to reorganize themselves and, suddenly, a bright idea pops up. Or, at least, one may feel there is some new promising way to tackle a problem.

Onward and upward! Mike

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 11, 2018 at 8:26:46 pm

I just do this for fun now, so I don't have any clients breathing down my neck, but back when I was working, I found that just stepping away from the computer often brought me great new ways of solving a programming problem. I've probably shouted "YES!" more times than Marv Albert 😉

Thanks for your input. Any knowledge I can gain on top of the great advice I get from Michael, Ole, and, yes, even Tero "Mr. Manual" Ahlfors 😁 is just icing on the cake.
Cheers!

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]