FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export Alpha?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
Export Alpha?
on Feb 5, 2018 at 4:17:44 am

Googling tells me nothing. The reference manual says I can by turning on the "Export Alpha" checkbox. Needless to say, there is no such checkbox. Sooo......

I have my greenscreen clip with the green keyed out and an alpha output. What codec/format do I use to export it with the alpha channel intact?

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Export Alpha?
on Feb 5, 2018 at 5:09:18 am

[Duke Sweden] "The reference manual says I can by turning on the "Export Alpha" checkbox. Needless to say, there is no such checkbox. "

It's a magic check box that appears when you select a render codec that has an alpha channel. Try DNxHR 444 10 or 12 bit.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Feb 5, 2018 at 8:59:23 am

ProRes 444 and ProRes 444XQ can also both support Alpha channels, but only on Mac OS and on the Linux Advanced Version of Resolve.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 5, 2018 at 10:11:56 am

As it happens I tried both! No luck. Also tried AVI and Quicktime.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 5, 2018 at 10:22:38 am

Do you mean the alpha checkbox didn't appear or it did but it failed to create a file with transparent alpha on export.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 5, 2018 at 11:31:51 am

It didn't appear.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 5, 2018 at 10:46:55 am

Page 1213 in the manual. Works for me.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 5, 2018 at 11:34:27 am

Not this time, Ahlfors!!! I went to the manual. I found page 1213 by searching for "Alpha export". I already mentioned above what it says. But there is no alpha export checkbox to check. I've tried all the codecs except the obvious ones like mp4.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 5, 2018 at 11:58:41 am

Actually yes. This time as well. Bolded the important part if you missed it.

"In either case, you may only render alpha channels out when you render individual source clips to an RGBA format"

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 5, 2018 at 1:02:13 pm

I read all that! Where do I render it in RGBA format? I don't see that anywhere on the Deliver page or in the master settings.

Upon further research I have determined that exporting with an alpha channel is an incredible pain in the ass. I would just do the whole composite in Resolve, but now there's another headache, masking out just a portion of an image so I can sandwich my greenscreen footage between the two images.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 5, 2018 at 1:42:36 pm

Select "individual clips" from the top of the render settings window. Then when you choose a format that supports an alpha channel the render alpha box will magically appear under the resolution drop down menu.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 5, 2018 at 2:22:45 pm

The magic box magically appears but instead of exporting a clip with a solid black background it exports a clip with a desaturated green screen in the background.

I think I have to step away from all this for a while. It's not fun anymore.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Bruce Gaber
on Feb 5, 2018 at 5:48:05 pm

I tried this with footage that had an alpha channel built with AE, rendered it out with a DNxHD 444, brought it into DR, did all the steps outlined above to render it with the alpha channel and just ended up with an enormous file that still had the black background. How the heck do we get footage with alpha channels into DR for editing and rendering?

Photographer / Motion Graphics Artist
Vision Rising

vimeo.com/BodhiBruce
visionrising.com

Dance Without Reason

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 5, 2018 at 6:15:47 pm

You can create a clip with an alpha channel and put a background behind it within Resolve but not export just the character with an alpha background., but working with images and backgrounds is a major PITA within Resolve.

Also, you can't mask a portion of an image and make it invisible so that you can stick your greenscreen character in between. In other words, if I have an image of a desk, I would like to trace the desk and blank out the rest of the image. The full image would be on top, then the green screen character, then the desk only image, making it appear as if the character is sitting behind the desk. I can do this with my eyes closed in Premiere Pro. I really wish they would fix these major annoyances in Resolve. I get much better keys in Resolve and I just enjoy using it. Premiere Pro has gotten really slow with 400 All-I footage but for now I have to use it when I make my green screen comedies.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Bruce Gaber
on Feb 5, 2018 at 7:36:33 pm

Ya' as much as I like the feel of DR and Fusion, this might just might be the deal breaker that makes me stay with AE/Pr

Photographer / Motion Graphics Artist
Vision Rising

vimeo.com/BodhiBruce
visionrising.com

Dance Without Reason

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 6, 2018 at 9:49:52 am

[Duke Sweden] "Also, you can't mask a portion of an image and make it invisible so that you can stick your greenscreen character in between. In other words, if I have an image of a desk, I would like to trace the desk and blank out the rest of the image. The full image would be on top, then the green screen character, then the desk only image, making it appear as if the character is sitting behind the desk."

You can do all kinds of keying/masking in Resolve. Just layer your clips in the timeline in the correct order and then make sure you run the alpha from your key/mask to the alpha output.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 6, 2018 at 2:26:42 pm

Tried that. It masked out what I wanted it to, but it doesn't show the clip underneath it, or the bottom layer which is the unmasked image.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 6, 2018 at 2:35:07 pm

Can you snip a similar screenshot from your color page?

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 6, 2018 at 2:50:33 pm

Is it the same with nodes, where the bottom node is actually the top layer? Because when I switched the two image layers I got the masking effect I was looking for. The masked image on Layer 1 and the unmasked image on Layer 3, with the keyed clip in between on Layer 2.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 6, 2018 at 3:07:05 pm

I have no idea what you've actually done so I can't comment on your particular mystery.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 6, 2018 at 3:47:25 pm

I saw a tutorial or two that pointed out that when you create multiple nodes, instead of the last node being the top layer (in the Premiere Pro equivelant), it's actually like the first, or bottom layer.

I was just wondering if the same was true of the timeline. Example. When I had it like this:
Layer 3: Masked image
Layer 2: Keyed clip
Layer 1: unmasked Image

The unmasked image covered everything. You couldn't see the other layers. When I changed it to this:
Layer 3: unMasked Image
Layer 2: Keyed clip
Layer 1: Masked Image

Then everything looked right. I could see the unmasked image as the background, my keyed clip in front of it, and the masked image showing only the desk in the image in the fore ground.

Color Page

Edit Page

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 6, 2018 at 4:12:39 pm

You have your masked jpeg on video track 3 (note the V3 next to the clip timecode) and it's on top of the stack so it's working as intended and it is the configuration per your first example. I don't know why you think you have the unmasked clip on top.

Tracks work in the same way in Premiere.

Here's another example:

Track 1: SMPTE bars as background
Track 2: Gradient dude in between
Track 3: YCbCr Ramp "desk" on top

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 6, 2018 at 4:53:32 pm

[Duke Sweden] "I saw a tutorial or two that pointed out that when you create multiple nodes, instead of the last node being the top layer (in the Premiere Pro equivelant), it's actually like the first, or bottom layer."

Also this: The node layer order doesn't have anything to do with the video track order, but this is true if you are using the layer mixer in the node tree. Page 896 in the manual.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 6, 2018 at 5:57:43 pm

I know it doesn't. I was just using an example of layers being backwards from Premiere Pro (or vice versa).

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Feb 6, 2018 at 10:01:24 pm

You gotta admit, I have a knack for creating long threads 😉

Now that I'm starting to get my feet wet in this aspect of Resolve I just may do my entire green screen comedy in Resolve for the first time.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]