FORUMS: list search recent posts

settings to grade a Movie in Davinci

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Fernandez
settings to grade a Movie in Davinci
on Jan 29, 2018 at 9:32:44 am

I have some questions regarding to grading a movie in devinci

I use a Monitor Zunzheng AM420 that offers the possibility to switch the colorspaces. I normally use rec709 but for the movie my intention is to switch it to DCI-P3 colorspace.
In the Color Management in Davinci i was also gonna switch the Timeline color space from Rec.709 Gamma 2.4 to DCI-P3
To export i was gonna use the easy DCP option

Questions:

1) Is it enough to switch the monitor from 709 to DCI-P3? Or am I suppose to calibrate it again once its already in DCI-P3?

2) Switching the Timeline color space to DCI-P3 is correct? Or should I change it to DCI- XYZ?

3) Exporting easy DCP in the delivery page is correct?

Thanks!!!!!!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: settings to grade a Movie in Davinci
on Jan 29, 2018 at 9:55:41 am

[Laura Fernandez] " but for the movie my intention is to switch it to DCI-P3 colorspace."

Why?

Return to posts index

Laura Fernandez
on Jan 29, 2018 at 10:13:43 am

becasue as far as I know (and i might be completly wrong) the DCI-P3 is the color space I "should" use to grade a movie that is gona be released.... but i might be wrong... thats why I ask ☺

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 29, 2018 at 11:08:23 am

[Laura Fernandez] " the DCI-P3 is the color space I "should" use to grade a movie that is gona be released.... "

Nope. The end result needs to be in DCI XYZ when you make a DCP. There are a lot of features that are graded in Rec709 and then converted when it's done. The thing about DCI-P3 grading is that it should be done with a projector in a proper DI theater. You can't emulate projector reflectance on a monitor.

Unless you really know what you're doing you'd probably be better off by grading in Rec709.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 29, 2018 at 4:02:10 pm

If you want to work from a colorspace that lends itself to various export standards, then that is what the ACES color management approach offers.

You will not be working, strictly speaking, in any specific release format -- what you will be doing is monitoring in the colorspace currently selected. Picking 709 under that system is perfectly acceptable if you are monitoring the output on a 709-calibrated display. The same would be true if you picked P3 and you were working in a projected P3 environment. That's how it is supposed to work.

To learn more, search for "Display-referred" color management practices.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Laura Fernandez
on Jan 30, 2018 at 2:59:30 am

Noted. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Laura Fernandez
on Jan 30, 2018 at 2:58:25 am

So that means i better work in 709 and then the easy DCP will do the proper conversion to DCI-P3 XYZ ?

Thanks for the answer!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]