FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve AAF Export for Pro Tools

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Marshall
Resolve AAF Export for Pro Tools
on Jan 24, 2018 at 9:12:06 pm

I'm having a hard time nailing down an official workflow to send an AAF file to sound mix from Resolve.

In the old days I could make a self-contained OMF from FCP 7. In FCP X an XML File could be converted into an embedded AAF by X2Pro.

I don't believe there is a way to make an embedded AAF in Resolve, and when I export a reference AAF with associated media it seems to create new files as opposed to using the existing audio WAVs. External polywaves that have been synced with video aren't exported as original WAV files but re-wrapped into MXF files that Pro Tools doesn't like.

Any help out there on this? Thanks much!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Resolve AAF Export for Pro Tools
on Jan 25, 2018 at 3:20:04 am
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Jan 25, 2018 at 6:54:39 am

Are you using the Export to ProTool preset on the delivery page? It will make new media as wav files but don't forget to set the handles. This preset makes the AAF, the new wav media with handles and a reference mxf video file plus the separate AAF composition for this new media.

If you have X2Pro, you might also try exporting from Resolve a fcpxml and see what sort of AAF X2Pro makes from that. I would be curious to hear how that goes as Resolve may not be setting tracks as roles.

Return to posts index

Travis Marshall
on Jan 25, 2018 at 2:58:56 pm

Hi Michael,

I used the Export to Pro Tools preset on the delivery page. I think because the WAV audio files were synced in the media pool to video files (replaced tracks with those external polywaves), it's re-wrapping everything into MXFs (presumably to ensure sync?). I really wish it didn't do that.

As for routing through X2Pro, we did try that but as you imagine the tracks did not correctly flag as roles in the XML, so it would present kind of a gobbled mess for a mixer.

I'll keep experimenting, but it looks like the external audio sync is what's the big issue here.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 25, 2018 at 10:31:42 pm

Another trick I have used is to export an xml and load that into Premiere which can then export an OMF. I've got an old version of CS6 but the xmls are based on the old FCP7 xml so it is unchanged over the years unlike the fcpxml.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]