FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback lag problem

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aleks Petrov
Playback lag problem
on Jan 23, 2018 at 9:49:33 am

Hi,
so I have this project I'm working on but the problem is that I just can't get a normal playback. It always lags.. A LOT.. Not only that, but whenever DaVinci is on, videos I play on my computer also lag or sometimes they don't even want to open until I close DaVinci, no matter the player. When I open the Task Manager, the CPU, GPU and RAM are all around 30-40%, so it's not that the computer can't handle it. Tried to put the resolution on Half or Quarter - no change, the frames are cached. I have no problem playing the same material in other editing software.

Information you may need:

1. The material is mixed - contains ARRI Alexa footage, Sony Footage, RED footage, EXRs and more but the playback problem occurs even when trying to play just one video, not the whole timeline with all these codec chaos.

2. Most of the Footage is 4K and all of it IS graded, but people with lower-end PCs than mine don't have this problem with the same project so I'm guessing it's a setting or some kind of a software problem.

3. PC config:
  • CPU - Intel Core i7 7600K
  • GPU - Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
  • RAM - 48GB DDR4 2666MHz

Please read carefully and don't ask questions I already answered or suggest something that contradicts with what's written here. If you have any suggestions as to how to fix this - I'll be happy to try.

Thank you in advance!!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Playback lag problem
on Jan 23, 2018 at 11:36:29 am

Media storage and speed?

Return to posts index

Aleks Petrov
on Jan 23, 2018 at 12:37:17 pm

The footage is on an 8TB LACIE and a 3TB WD, both connected with USB 3.0. But that doesn't really matter since the project runs ok on other PCs

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 23, 2018 at 10:50:17 pm

I notice your RAM is 48gGB. Do you have all the RAM slots populated but perhaps have different size RAM modules. Or are they all the same size but slots are not paired? I had an issue once where taking some RAM out made performance better because of the mismatching.

Just guessing it is a RAM issue so can you try taking out some RAM to have matched paired modules. Maybe 32GB might work better.

Return to posts index

Aleksandar Petrov
on Jan 24, 2018 at 5:41:59 pm

It's not that. At first I only had 16GB of RAM, put the right way so the dual channel would work normally and some time after that I bought a lower latency 32GB RAM and put them on the other channel. I know it doesn't matter that it's a lower latency since the other 16GB are still there, but they both work normally at the speeds of the slower, it's just that I got a great deal on the new 32GB and decided that some day I might buy another 32GB low latency and then it'll work at the higher speeds.
So anyway, it's not the RAM, but thank you, it really was a good guess! I think it may be a USB issue because the drive is always at 100% usage when playing back. I only don't get it why the others don't get the same problem, we're all using USB3 after all

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 24, 2018 at 7:28:06 pm

you say the frames are cached. Where are they cached to, and in what format.

(I would not expect great playback from 4k r3ds, or arri from a usb 3 drive, with only 1 GPU)

Drop your timeline down to HD and see what you get.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Aleksandar Petrov
on Jan 27, 2018 at 12:36:52 pm

Actually, the cache folder is on an internal HDD, so the USB is not the problem here. As for the timeline dropping - isn't that the same as "telling" it to play it in half resolution, which I already tried?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]