FORUMS: list search recent posts

So many ways to color correct...

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
So many ways to color correct...
on Jan 7, 2018 at 10:17:15 pm
Last Edited By Duke Sweden on Jan 7, 2018 at 10:18:41 pm

Every time I go on Youtube these videos pop up on how to Color Correct in DaVinci Resolve. They all involve different methods. Curves, color wheels, etc. I was wondering, is it a matter of whatever you're most comfortable with, or is there an "Academy standard" that you pros have to adhere to? Purely for my own edification. Thanks to everyone who bothers to answer. And Tero, I swear, if you mention the manual... ;-)

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: So many ways to color correct...
on Jan 7, 2018 at 10:39:32 pm

Learn basic color correction first using the color wheels, once youโ€™ve mastered that then learn more if you need it. Donโ€™t get mesmerized by all the bells and whistles.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jan 8, 2018 at 4:19:49 am

Dave! It's me, the Dukester! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Come on you remember me. I already know about color correction and I've become quite the color corrector if I do say so myself. I was asking if there was an industry standard procedure you HAVE to adhere to, much like color spaces or "legal boundaries" of highlights and shadows. Or if you could use whatever method you're most comfortable with. Me, I like to use curves.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 8, 2018 at 5:20:52 am

There are no standards on how one would use the tools (there are pitfalls though) but there are standards that you'll need to adhere to if you're actually doing stuff professionally. For example if you need to grade/convert to a certain color space and gamma or you need to make sure your delivery is broadcast safe etc.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jan 8, 2018 at 6:04:40 am

[Duke Sweden] "I was asking if there was an industry standard procedure you HAVE to adhere to, much like color spaces or "legal boundaries" of highlights and shadows. "
I often say, the beauty of Resolve (or any other complex piece of software) is there is most likely four or five different ways of accomplishing something. The only difference for me is, 1) how effective are the results, and 2) how quickly will it get me where I need to go?

As long as the picture looks right and the client is happy, as far as I'm concerned the methodology doesn't matter. You do have to abide by the terms of the technical delivery specifications, but beyond that this is a very subjective area.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jan 8, 2018 at 1:15:08 pm

Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks, guys. Just for the record, Tero, I mentioned color spaces, etc. as examples where you can't just "do your own thing". I was just wondering if your methods had to follow the same rules. Again, thanks to all of you. Cheers!

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 8, 2018 at 6:34:16 pm

Careful with YouTubes. There are many people who will learn the software for the first time, do a couple things, and then post a video on "here's how you use this software!" and the truth is they are doing it wrong, or are lacking many Basic steps. I recently saw one with a guy explaining how to edit a music video, and it was COMPLETELY bonkers what he was describing. At one point he even said, "I don't know how the professionals in Nashville do it, but this is how I do it." Has seasoned editors scratching their heads...so backwards.

So...be careful...make sure the tutorials are done by someone seasoned. I use all of the controls, the curves and wheels and others, as they each do slightly different things.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jan 8, 2018 at 7:49:24 pm
Last Edited By Duke Sweden on Jan 8, 2018 at 7:51:49 pm

Ah, another level of information. I didn't know you can get different results from the different methods. Thanks, Shane!

I know about the youtube vids alright. I trust Aram K although he normally works with RAW files. I know what you mean about mind boggling nonsense. I saw one guy doing a Premiere Pro tutorial. He dragged an adjustment layer onto his timeline, overextended it by about an inch, and instead of just dragging it back to where it should have been, he grabs the razor blade tool and cuts off the excess!

One other, the guy Jeff who is the grading/editing expert for CRFTSHO did a tutorial where there were two clips on a timeline with about a mile of space between them. Instead of right clicking the space and choosing "ripple delete", he kept dragging the clip over and over and over and over....until he finally got it butted up to the clip next to it.

When I joked about it on one of their live streams, he said that ripple delete was too complicated to explain to most of the people watching the tutorial so he just dragged the clip. The tutorial, btw, was how to set up Resolve for HDR rendering. You know, nothing complicated. I don't think he likes me very much ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks again for the response!

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 8, 2018 at 8:29:35 pm

[Duke Sweden] "He dragged an adjustment layer onto his timeline, overextended it by about an inch, and instead of just dragging it back to where it should have been, he grabs the razor blade tool and cuts off the excess!"

I do this sometimes when I forget that the extend command exists. The razor blade snaps on edits so it's pretty fast to use that in some cases.
Like in grading there's no set standards how you should work in an NLE. Unless you ask an Avid user ๐Ÿ˜‰ or you have a certain post workflow you need to keep in mind.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 8, 2018 at 11:21:08 pm

So much depends on the camera sensor, lighting conditions and the intended look. I do documentary post work mostly but my first go to is the color wheels and the lift gamma & gain trims to get basic grade and shot matching. Increasingly depending on the camera & codec, a LUT is required. I put that in the second node so I can make those wheel adjustments pre LUT. And I often add a post LUT node to then make final trims beyond the first node trims. I look at saturation and color boost, contrast etc in the first and third nodes. It is just a matter of how the variables best work to which node I make those adjustments. I look at scopes and also just how it looks

Some cameras can make certain colors overly pop so things like Hue vs Sat can tame some of those characteristics. Same with mixed lighting where say a fluro light is injecting a green spike. I find some cameras and lighting conditions can make curves desirable as I move from basic matching to getting a desirable look. This includes the RGB curves. Next is to look at isolating areas either via power windows or using the face plugin ( or both). Sometimes I use qualifiers to make a sky a bit bluer. The thing is I will vary the order slightly depending on the circumstances and also sometimes change the order of nodes. There is no hard and fast rules but my first call is always to get a basic balance with the wheels and lift, gamma, gain. Everything after that is determined by camera and lighting conditions.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 9, 2018 at 2:59:33 am

try L*A*B color. your head will explode. it's very powerful.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 9, 2018 at 3:42:36 am

[Chris Wright] " try L*A*B color. your head will explode. it's very powerful."

Is that an option in Resolve? Head exploding in a good way I hope

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 9, 2018 at 4:41:04 am

[Michael Gissing] "Is that an option in Resolve? Head exploding in a good way I hope"

It's a kludge to actually use so heads are exploding trying to deal with it. Some people have made workflows for it.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jan 9, 2018 at 5:23:09 am

Thanks Michael for that indepth description of your workflow. Much appreciated. Thanks to all you guys. Who thought this question would get so many responses from the heavyweights here. Cheers!

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jan 9, 2018 at 12:27:26 pm

[Duke Sweden] " I trust Aram K although he normally works with RAW files. "

On this topic, how do you folks feel about working on a project originally shot on RED but handed down a DNxHD file with no way of getting the RAW footage?

Currently struggling with one now :(

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 9, 2018 at 2:09:37 pm

Unless something really bad happened in the transcode I actually would prefer Prores or DNxHD/HR files.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jan 9, 2018 at 2:21:09 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "Unless something really bad happened in the transcode I actually would prefer Prores or DNxHD/HR files."

A lot has happened but I am more proficient with RED RAW files.

Then, of course, there is the "what if I need the 4K and up version of this movie" problem :P

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 9, 2018 at 11:40:55 pm

[Eric Santiago] "Then, of course, there is the "what if I need the 4K and up version of this movie" problem"

I always prefer to have the R3D files. These days editors punch in on shots as many DPs are encouraged to frame wider. Stabilising shots also punches in so I prefer to have the files that let me do this, not an HD baked version. Also fixing exposure or color temp issues, I much prefer RAW.

And these days I mostly work to a UHD finish timeline and make the lower res deliverables from that. Basic future proofing. It doesn't cost much more to do it properly but redoing later does. False economy. Just wait till they tell you they want to sell to Netflix.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jan 10, 2018 at 2:41:58 am

[Michael Gissing] "I always prefer to have the R3D files. These days editors punch in on shots as many DPs are encouraged to frame wider. Stabilising shots also punches in so I prefer to have the files that let me do this, not an HD baked version. Also fixing exposure or color temp issues, I much prefer RAW. "
All the major Hollywood features almost always use DPX, EXR, or (for TV) ProRes 444. You can always render in high-res, which will still take advantage of the larger frame size.

When I get a project shot on Red where, for efficiency reasons, we have to finish in ProRes, I always try to supervise the transcode process so that I know the debayering and rendering are all done at optimum levels. It's only when I get backed into a corner -- like when the color temp or ISO is screwed -- that we have to either re-render or make a drastic change.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 10, 2018 at 8:21:05 am

[Marc Weilage] "All the major Hollywood features almost always use DPX, EXR, or (for TV) ProRes 444"

The irony there is the file sizes are sometimes as big or bigger than the 8:1 compressed 6k RAW.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 10, 2018 at 8:38:32 am

[Michael Gissing] "The irony there is the file sizes are sometimes as big or bigger than the 8:1 compressed 6k RAW."

If the storage/workflow is specced for large resolution image sequences they'll probably run better than compressed RAW because you don't need to spend computing power uncompressing it.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 10, 2018 at 8:44:18 am

I work in docos and have enough grunt to run R3D files in 1/2 res. Takes a bit longer with the final file renders but the proxy files are nearly always HD ProRes/ DNxHD so I nearly always revert to the RAW

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jan 10, 2018 at 11:49:23 am

[Michael Gissing] "The irony there is the file sizes are sometimes as big or bigger than the 8:1 compressed 6k RAW."
File size is rarely the issue. It's the TIME that's the big issue. Again, I'm not wrong that a large portion of mainstream TV series and feature films are not being done from Raw files. There are pros and cons either way.

BTW, whenever I'm asked, I always tell clients not to shoot at a rate greater than 5:1 -- I think that's about the sweet spot for R3D size and artifacts, particularly with smoke and very fine-detailed images (like grandstands or forests).

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 10, 2018 at 12:35:59 pm

[Marc Wielage] "BTW, whenever I'm asked, I always tell clients not to shoot at a rate greater than 5:1"

I agree but there is a certain doco mindset that says " I have the budget for UHD and want to shoot 6k so 8:1 is OK". Hard to argue. I'm very pleased with my sweet spot when I shoot which is 4.6 4:1 cDNG on the Ursa Mini. Gives me punch in room, looks good and so far no artifact issues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]