FORUMS: list search recent posts

2012 Mac Tower GPU for Resolve 14

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Knapich
2012 Mac Tower GPU for Resolve 14
on Jan 7, 2018 at 3:31:21 pm

Hello,
If you are successful running Resolve 14 on a 2012 Mac Tower with Sierra OS please let me know what GPU you are using. My old NVIDIA Quadro is not supported for Resolve 14.
Thanks

2012 Mac Tower
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Blackmagic Decklink Extreme 3D+

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: 2012 Mac Tower GPU for Resolve 14
on Jan 8, 2018 at 6:05:46 am

MacVidCards has a line of GPUs they sell that are guaranteed to work in older Mac Pro desktops.

From my perspective, though, in 2018 it's getting harder and harder to keep these old beasts running. I don't see this becoming any easier.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: 2012 Mac Tower GPU for Resolve 14
on Jan 9, 2018 at 8:17:24 am

I use PC Versions of the GTX-980Ti in my 5,1 Mac Pros because there a lot cheaper than the Mac Modified Versions. Because of the Gen 2 PCIe Bus Architecture in those systems the only benefit you would likely see with a 1080Ti is the extra RAM when applying a lot of heavy nodes on clips. You will be less likely to run into the “Out of GPU Memory” error. I saw almost no playback or render performance increase when I went from 980’s to 980Ti’s so I doubt if a 1080Ti will be any better than the 980Ti in that respect.

All my slots are full so I don’t have the luxury of installing a Mac Card like the GT-120 for my GUI. My trick is to initially install the OS and Nvidia Web Drivers with a Mac GT-120 in slot 1. I then turn on Screen Sharing, shut down the system and then put the PC GTX Card into Slot 1. I do this because everytime Apple releases a Security Update my Monitors don’t come up after the reboot until the Nvidia Drivers are updated. I then Screen Share into the system, update the Nvidia Drivers and after the Driver Reboot my Monitors come back up again. It’s also handy when I need to reset the PRAM and the OS Reverts to the Mac Drivers. In that case I can Screen Share in, switch to the Nvidia Web Drivers and after a Reboot once again my Monitors are back in action.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]