FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kicking the tires of Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Davis
Kicking the tires of Resolve
on Jan 6, 2018 at 6:40:30 pm

First time poster here. I am a user of PPro and Vegas Pro. I have zero experience in Resolve doing real work as I am just making my way through the manual.

Two things stand out to me as problems though.

No Closed Captioning kinda sucks but I could workaround by sending through PPro.

Here is a deal-breaker for me so far...

I have over 20,000 mp4 proxy files in my library that use a different extension than my 4k originals. My workflow has been to work with the mp4s and the do a simple replace media to the original source files that have the exact same name only a different file extension. This seems very simple and basic but it appears that Resolve can't do this other than one clip at a time!?

I have too much invested in my workflow to try and start over with the library just to make it work.

Hope someone can correct me on this.

Thanks alot.

Erik

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Kicking the tires of Resolve
on Jan 6, 2018 at 8:09:17 pm

Page 577 and forwards in the manual.

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
on Jan 8, 2018 at 5:53:11 am

Thank you Tero, but that's kind of my point. I don't see anyway in the manual to replace existing proxy files with the source original files with the exact same names but different extensions.

Erik

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 8, 2018 at 7:02:45 am

[Erik Davis] " I don't see anyway in the manual to replace existing proxy files with the source original files with the exact same names but different extensions. "

Page 592 "Using the 'reconform from bins' command"

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jan 8, 2018 at 6:01:34 am

[Erik Davis] "I have over 20,000 mp4 proxy files in my library that use a different extension than my 4k originals. My workflow has been to work with the mp4s and the do a simple replace media to the original source files that have the exact same name only a different file extension. This seems very simple and basic but it appears that Resolve can't do this other than one clip at a time!? "
Sure you can. It's covered in the manual.

One way to do it: bring all the H.264 clips into Resolve. Conform the timeline as necessary. Go into General Options and make sure that "Automatically conform missing clips added to Media Pool" is checked.

Delete all the H.264 clips from the Media Pool. Now bring in all the original source clips that have the same filename but a different extension. BOOM, the files should automatically relink to the timeline and they should now work. It's a handy feature.

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
on Jan 8, 2018 at 6:09:06 am

Marc thanks for the helpful reply and shot of hope that this might work. I will test.

In the manual on page 579, where it discusses automatically conforming "missing" clips, it doesn't explicitly reference importing clips with a different extension as being recognized. Right?

Erik

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jan 8, 2018 at 6:29:58 am

The manual doesn't say a lot of things. (In fact, they get this menu item wrong in the manual, too.)

I'm telling you this works for me. Try it for yourself and see what happens.

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
on Jan 8, 2018 at 6:44:06 am

Cool. Thanks again. Will do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]