FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED R3D Workflow from FinalCut Pro X to Resolve 14

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Peypoch
RED R3D Workflow from FinalCut Pro X to Resolve 14
on Dec 30, 2017 at 9:16:13 pm

Hello,

I am working on the color correction of a short that was made in final cut pro x.

Due to the heavy files of the Scarlett Camera, I have decided to transcode the media to more manageable files (10bit DPX files). I have already tried transcoding the media and replacing it using the media management tool. However, it crashes constantly and I have not been able to finish the whole sequence. Testing out only one clip it finishes transcoding but it doesn't replace the clip (even though I have selected that option).

The actual timeline files are "synchronized files" which means that they are dependent on the r3d files that are on the media page but they're sort of nested clips, not normal ones. I have a theory that maybe this is the problem. These files were synchronized using final cut and the xml simply kept the whole thing together, But maybe these are the problem?

Anyway, if anyone knows of a good workflow, please let me know. I was trying out a prores 4444 transcode but then I don't know how to relink the original r3d files so as to not loose anything in the final delivery.

Any suggestions welcome. Thank you!

Xavier Peypoch Clavé
Mexico
DIT & Beginner Colorist

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: RED R3D Workflow from FinalCut Pro X to Resolve 14
on Dec 31, 2017 at 9:14:06 am

Prores 4444 is going to be heavier than the raw R3D files and you are losing a lot of grading control.
I'd link the FCPX timeline in Resolve to the original R3D files. Do a pre grade using the R3D additional latitude. Then Transcode before finally grading. And I'd stick with 422

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Xavier Peypoch
on Dec 31, 2017 at 4:27:34 pm

And how do I relink to the original files? By reconforming from bin?

Xavier Peypoch Clavé
Mexico
DIT & Beginner Colorist

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Dec 31, 2017 at 5:13:32 pm

You add the R3D files to the media pool. Then import the xml and link to the media pool.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]