FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color-correcting old MiniDV footage

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
charles wing
Color-correcting old MiniDV footage
on Dec 18, 2017 at 6:00:00 pm

I'm editing footage shot in 2001 on a Sony PC10 (MiniDV 720X480).

Does it make ANY sense to transcode it to a higher res for color correction in Resolve? Or employ any other workflow modifications to get the best results?

THANK YOU!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Color-correcting old MiniDV footage
on Dec 18, 2017 at 10:45:30 pm

if it was captured in 8 bit, upgrading to 10 bit isn't going to help grading. cineform will just make it easier to scrub the timeline. Now if you do some noise/grain reductions, its dithering algorithm may require exporting to a 10 bit codec for banding removal.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Dec 19, 2017 at 8:49:22 am

[charles wing] "Does it make ANY sense to transcode it to a higher res for color correction in Resolve? Or employ any other workflow modifications to get the best results? "
Not to me, no. It's just a very simple 8-bit YUV format. You could transcode to ProRes 422 (or an equivalent DNxHD format), but I wouldn't necessarily believe you're going to get anything more out of it. You can't get more out of 8 gallons of water by pouring it in a 10-gallon barrel.

There is a new de-banding tool in Resolve 14 that can selectively eliminate the ugly 8-bit artifacts that sometimes happen with these formats, and it does help somewhat. I find a lot of noise reduction and sometimes frequency-selective blurring & sharpening can also take the edge off.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 3, 2018 at 6:27:22 pm

[Marc Wielage] "a lot of noise reduction and sometimes frequency-selective blurring"

There's also an old green-screen trick of converting the color-encoding to YCbCr and blurring the color components (leave the luminance alone or sharpen it) that will trick the eye and some compositing processes into thinking it is dealing with a higher bit-depth image. This only works when you are working within a floating-depth application.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]