FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 14.2 crashes repeatedly: LAB color space involved???

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael McCune
Resolve 14.2 crashes repeatedly: LAB color space involved???
on Dec 18, 2017 at 10:24:43 am
Last Edited By Michael McCune on Dec 18, 2017 at 10:59:28 am

LAB color nodes offer advantages and looks that are useful and appealing. Usually setting up nodes and adjusting the LAB A & B curves works well. And LAB A & B can also useful in splitting chroma (A & B) and luma (for sharpening, for example). Most of the node tree is in RGB.

And of course one common and constantly-used tool is the eye-dropper with the "Show picker RGB value" selected.

But lately this -- within seconds -- reliably crashes the program.
First the cursor does not change to an arrow when moved out of the viewer pane but remains as an eye-dropper. This situation means it will crash within a second or two.

Of course we all know that this stuff is magic--shifting from one color space to another on the fly, from node to node, must make a mathematician's head explode.

Thoughts??? BUG ???

Thanks, Mike

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Resolve 14.2 crashes repeatedly: LAB color space involved???
on Dec 19, 2017 at 8:54:43 am

I have no answer for the crashes -- so much depends on hardware configurations and source formats -- but if I need to do something like this, I set up three parallel nodes with keys set to grab specific luminance bands. Top one for highs, middle one for mids, bottom for blacks -- and then adjust those accordingly. You could also use a YUV splitter node to sharpen just luma only.

The new ResolveFX Sharpen Edges and Soften & Sharpen plug-ins also allow some very tweaky kinds of sharpening that are very good at excluding everything you don't want to grab. I tend to use these in combination with tracking masks for certain soft photography issues.

I specifically don't use LAB because it slows me down too much and I'm generally on a pretty tight schedule. I could see it being used to create a prefab look for a very, very specific situation, but beyond that, it's too "fiddley" for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]