Heavy performance problems and crashes with conform PPro -> Resolve 14.1.1

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Bender
Heavy performance problems and crashes with conform PPro -> Resolve 14.1.1
on Dec 15, 2017 at 1:05:41 am
Last Edited By Joe Bender on Dec 15, 2017 at 1:11:07 am

Hi all,

I'm conforming an archive film to color in Resolve, moving from PPro 2017 to Resolve Studio 14.1.1. The XML imports fine (footage previously added to Media Pool) and actually most of my scaling and retiming carries over well. That was a pleasant surprise. However, my performance is terrible — framerates in the teens — before any corrections are even applied and Resolve crashes very frequently on playback.

This is a 1080p project with most material in even lower resolutions and highly compressed/low bitrates. I'm editing on a 2013 Mac Pro 6-core (OSX 10.11.6) w/64GB RAM, 2x AMD D700 6GB. Footage is on a storage server connected over 10GbE pulling >800MB/s and scratch disk is a local SSD RAID at >1GB/s. On paper this system is way more than required for the project.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the poor performance and how I can make this work? My best guess of the culprit so far is mixed framerate material — the source material is all over the place, lots of 25/30p. I can render a single QuickTime/EDL and do a notch conform but I would prefer to use Resolve's resizing and keep the flexibility to conform changes using timeline compare...

Also Resolve won't quit cleanly, which is annoying. I pretty much always have to force quit... Any thoughts on that?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Joe

EDIT:
I'm having the same super choppy playback even in a fresh project with a single 1080p ProRes422HQ file. So maybe this is a setup issue? Any thoughts on what to try? Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Heavy performance problems and crashes with conform PPro -> Resolve 14.1.1
on Dec 16, 2017 at 9:00:50 am

Mixed framerate project are a huge red flag to me.

My suggestion would be to consider an alternative workflow: for example, transcode all the clips to a common timebase, so (no matter what the original speed) they're now ready to go for a specific deliverable format. For example, if you're going to deliver 29.97fps for broadcast, go with that. Be warned that Optical Flow yields different results on different systems, so it may be a frame earlier/frame late depending on circumstances.

If you have a single 422HQ file, that should not be choppy assuming fast storage. I used a relatively modest RAID0 for some time that I think only had about 330MBps, and I had no problem doing 2K 24p ProRes 444 projects all the time. Depending on the node tree structure, I could use 4K within a 2K timeline, then switch to 4K for delivery.

I think it also helps cutting the material up into smaller bite-size pieces. A continuous 2-hour or even 90-minute file is hard for some drives to handle. I would cut it up into (say) 4 x 23-minute files and see how that does. I would also split it up into at least 4 timelines if possible and see if that also improves performance.

You might also upgrade to OSX 10.12.6 and see how that does. I've had pretty good luck it and a Trashcan Mac over the last few months.

Return to posts index

Joe Bender
Re: Heavy performance problems and crashes with conform PPro -> Resolve 14.1.1
on Dec 18, 2017 at 7:58:15 pm

Thanks for the thoughts, Marc. I've been going back and forth with Blackmagic support. The strange thing is the free Resolve runs fine, very well in fact, with the same project, while Resolve Studio barely runs at all and crashes all the time. I'll update with more if I get to the bottom of it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]