FORUMS: list search recent posts

iMac Pro 2017 recommended configuration

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Marshall
iMac Pro 2017 recommended configuration
on Dec 14, 2017 at 4:20:17 pm

We are adding another seat to our post production setup (currently 3 seats on a 10gbE NAS courtesy of Bob Zelin). Our post is a mix of cameras for broadcast but usually involves GH5, XAVC footage from Sony F55s and Pro Res 422. Mix of 4K and 1080.

This extra system is for overflow in our post schedule and also to tide us over until next year's Mac Pros are released. We are an exclusively Mac shop.

I was planning on upgrading to 64gb RAM and the Radeon Pro 64 with 16GB vram. I was not planning on upgrading to the 10 core and beyond CPUs. We could conceivably also use an external thunderbolt 3 enclosure for a third party GPU.

Any thoughts on this? I'd appreciate any help. Thank you!

Travis

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: iMac Pro 2017 recommended configuration
on Dec 14, 2017 at 5:16:14 pm

I guess whatever you can afford will be fine.
I want one bad but budget at home is tight.
At my work, we have to wait for the Mac Pro (our current is the 2013 D700s) refresh too.
Hope you decide and come back with your results :)

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Dec 14, 2017 at 10:36:03 pm

That will likely be a solid configuration for editing and color grading with non-raw formats.

For editing/grading with raw formats, for VFX work, or for heavy deliverables work (taking a master file and spitting out many other formats as fast as possible), it starts to make sense to pile on more cores.

--
Digital Workflow, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Dec 14, 2017 at 11:33:22 pm
Last Edited By Alan Okey on Dec 14, 2017 at 11:36:30 pm

After the 2013 Mac Pro D700 Resolve render glitch debacle, I would be very cautious about jumping into any iMac Pro purchase before there has been sufficient time for others to evaluate its reliability. By virtue of its design, the iMac Pro will be thermally constrained, and I know that I certainly wouldn't want to be one of the first guinea pigs who gets to discover whether or not the new model is up to the task.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Dec 16, 2017 at 9:04:27 am

[Alan Okey] "By virtue of its design, the iMac Pro will be thermally constrained, and I know that I certainly wouldn't want to be one of the first guinea pigs who gets to discover whether or not the new model is up to the task."
The lack of upgradability is also a big concern. I think there's a big market for the iMac Pro for certain kinds of users, like offline editing, sound editing, and DIT work, where an all-in-one system has its advantages. I don't think it will be enough for a really demanding Resolve user. I'd also like to see what's going to happen when the Resolve GUI hits a 5K screen like this.

Having said that, I just got a second Trashcan Mac as a stopgap just to get me through the next7-8 months' worth of projects. I'm in a "wait and see" mode as far as the new Mac Pro goes, and am hoping it gives post people better alternatives than the iMac Pro.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 16, 2017 at 9:11:27 pm

I've got the feeling that anything-Pro is going to go the way of the 3.5" floppy disk and the optical drive and the FireWire port and the list of other things that consumer Apple management deemed unprofitable. This move to a sealed unibody is another step backwards, even from the 2013 coffeecan. Always good to evaluate -- going in, the model introduced yesterday seems four-walled to the Apple application ecosystem, ie FCX, Compressor, Motion.

And $16,000.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Dec 18, 2017 at 2:45:00 am

[Joseph Owens] "Always good to evaluate -- going in, the model introduced yesterday seems four-walled to the Apple application ecosystem, ie FCX, Compressor, Motion."
Naaaa, I priced a "reasonable" (i.e., no 4TB SSD boot drive) version and it was around $9K, which I think is about right. There's an article on the web I can't find at the moment that disassembled an iMac Pro and then priced all the components, and said it would cost about 85% as much to build this same machine as a PC. So there is an "Apple Tax," but not as much as you might think.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 18, 2017 at 3:47:19 pm

[Marc Wielage] "So there is an "Apple Tax," but not as much as you might think.
"

I'll take a system that I don't have to fix on my own (and trust me I have the experience) "tax" any day :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]