FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio export

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Filewych
Audio export
on Dec 5, 2017 at 2:20:13 am

Hey Gang,

So I'm trying to prepare a finished project for audio. Is it still the case that I can't export a proper AAF? I've tried all of the" handles" work arounds and had some success but I still have a question. Is it possible to export an audio only EDL? I've poured through the manual and don't see it.

My project has the Alexa files synced to secondary record files. Is there a way to keep the original audio file names on any exports from Resolve? (right now the audio files display name is what video they are linked to)

Thanks
Ken

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Audio export
on Dec 7, 2017 at 5:02:45 pm

Hey, Ken...

Its not the good old days of OMF anymore... sadly. I just worked through something like this with Johnny B. and eventually we had to resort to an XML or AAF out to Premiere (local circumstances in the studio where the project was based) and then exported a ProTools-compatible EDL from there. It still didn't keep the original names, everything was "Untitled." It was a short short but overall the schedule was so after midnight he just threw in the towel, and decided to hand-relink because at least the source codes were right.

I know this is not helpful in a positive sense. But I think 14 is still not really ready for Prime Time, and it is Fairlight - holding things back for the moment, but once it works and the hooks agree, then it will be business time.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Paul Draper
on Dec 18, 2017 at 8:46:48 pm

Yes, a PITA. AAF export is such a waste of life – and the various hidden menus and ways to 'produce' this. The 'DAW' component of Resolve 14 is still very poor/buggy/non-standard & lacking conventions & so I always round trip to a DAW for mastering multi-rack audio & drop back into Resolve as a LUFS normalised stereo file. FWIW, only the following two options work for me without head-scratching over why various elements of Resolve do not work correctly:

Deliver page:

1) The ProTools option (mxf) works with ProTools HD 12.8; this opens the video and audio tracks as laid out in the Resolve timeline. It can have problems with handle lengths from time to time, gaps between audio sections, doesn't seem to recognise small cross-fades etc that may have been made in Resolve. (Don't do any fades in Resolve beforehand then).

2) Now my preferred choice: Custom menu, under the video tab deliver a .mov file of choice for DAW reference (eg: 720p H264); under the audio tab, select 'Output' and set this to 'TimeLine' Track and allocate the 1st Resolve Track number; keep adding more TimeLine tracks via the plus button and allocate track numbers to match the Resolve Timeline audio tracks. eg, if I have 4 x stereo audio tracks in the Resolve timeline (say, wild camera, V/O, Music, FX) then there will be 4x Timeline tacks made under the Audio export menu. Linear PCM /24 bit.

This exports a QT mov with 4 x stereo tracks & which then open perfectly in a DAW, in my case, works with Nuendo, Cubase, Pro Tools. Mix & Master and drop back into the Resolve Media page.

Thinking in advance: you can split /copy/paste & name more audio tracks in Resolve in mind of the above multi-track export.

My 2 cents. This is the only reliable workflow I've managed to come up with thus far.

Dell T7910 workstation, Win10x64 Pro; 64GB Ram; 2x 12 core Xeons; Nvidia 1080Ti; LG 34UM95 & BenQ SW2700PT, BM DeckLink Mini Monitor 4k. Audio: RME Fireface UFX+, RME ADI-8, UAD-2 quad core PCIe. Resolve Studio, Adobe Premier, Nuendo, ProTools HD.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 19, 2017 at 4:01:38 am

In the notes for version 14.2 there is a fix for issues with handles not being set in the ProTools AAF export so maybe update and try this version. There were definitely issues which may now be fixed.

Return to posts index

Travis Marshall
on Jan 24, 2018 at 9:29:06 pm

Can anyone update me on this? Currently working with an audio mixer who cannot bring my AAF into pro tools.

I'm on 14.2, and have a number of clips in my project that are video synced to external polywave audio files within Resolve. The AAF export just re-wraps them as MXF files that don't play nice with Pro Tools. In an ideal world the AAF would either be one single file with media embedded, or at least a reference AAF with the original WAV files exported with handles.

Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB Ram, AMD FireProD700
OSX 10.10.5, FCP 10.2.1

Return to posts index

Ken Filewych
on Jan 24, 2018 at 10:30:05 pm

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Travis Marshall
on Jan 25, 2018 at 3:04:48 pm

Now my preferred choice: Custom menu, under the video tab deliver a .mov file of choice for DAW reference (eg: 720p H264); under the audio tab, select 'Output' and set this to 'TimeLine' Track and allocate the 1st Resolve Track number; keep adding more TimeLine tracks via the plus button and allocate track numbers to match the Resolve Timeline audio tracks. eg, if I have 4 x stereo audio tracks in the Resolve timeline (say, wild camera, V/O, Music, FX) then there will be 4x Timeline tacks made under the Audio export menu. Linear PCM /24 bit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Paul, but isn't this multichannel Quicktime a flat file that severely limits what an audio mixer can do with regard to edits and fades? If you aren't relying on any additional editing, and just mixing, I suppose it would work.

I'm amazed that a true AAF export doesn't just use the original source audio files, but re-wraps everything... what a PITA.

4 Mac Edit Systems on QNAP NAS 10GbE storage system, 2 Mac Pro late 2013, 1 5K iMac 2017, 1 iMac Pro 2017.

Mac OS 10.11-10.13
DaVinci Resolve 14.2
Final Cut X 10.3

Return to posts index

Paul Draper
on Jan 25, 2018 at 10:24:37 pm

No, you get complete mixing there, ie, no 'limitations' etc (assuming no silly post-prod extremes have been committed in the Resolve timeline) – its *only audio* Wav multichannel. eg:

Export a QT movie with (say) 4 x stereo tracks (using Timeline IDs in Resolve);
Import the vid into the DAW (Nuendo or Pro Tools here), import automatically extracts the 4 x stereo tracks onto individual lanes & pus the vid in a video track.
Next I label & colour code each audio track, then 'Strip Silence' - Many DAWS use this also to maximise plug-in, CPU power, ie, the CPU backs off when there's no audio on the lane.
The stripped clips are then completely manipulable via the usual clip gain, handles, fade curves, cross-fades, in-line processing, whatever.

There is zero difference between that audio import /mixing and using AAFs (save for the fact that the AAF can often have problems with handles or conversely, than Resolve doesn't always accurately mirror its own lane fades/ edits to AAF).

In the case of the multitrack QT bounce, none of that is an issue because you are simply printing each audio lane to a QT audio track and this mirrors the existing Resolve temp mix exactly. One bug that comes up from time to time: when exporting form Resolve, each audio track needs to be added in turn as a 'Timeline track' and then its output set to mirror the Edit timeline audio track number. Sometimes the bug will not show enough track numbers available. Re-boot Resolve and its usually fine.

Hope that helps. Personally, I haven't had too many probs with AAF-to-ProTools either except for fade handles. In any case, I completely stopped using this now because the QT export method, i) is much faster, ii) works perfectly without odd handle bugs and ii) is completely DAW agnostic & so now I usually choose Nuendo and avoid Avid altogether. Ditto for any other DAW: Reaper, Cubase, Logic, what ever. It just becomes generic multitrack audio.

Try it.

Dell T7910 workstation, Win10x64 Pro; 64GB Ram; 2x 12 core Xeons; Nvidia 1080Ti; LG 34UM95 & BenQ SW2700PT, BM DeckLink Mini Monitor 4k. Audio: RME Fireface UFX+, RME ADI-8, UAD-2 quad core PCIe. Resolve Studio, Adobe Premier, Nuendo, ProTools HD.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 25, 2018 at 10:40:29 pm

[Paul Draper] "There is zero difference between that audio import /mixing and using AAFs"

Sorry Paul but there is a ton of difference. Your method bakes in edits, EQ, levels etc. An AAF or OMF gives me the ability to adjust all of those parameters and also to do clip based processing like denoise. It also allows me to easily split material, adjust overlaps and fade shapes which need handles. Yes Resolve has had a bug that meant handles were missing on their AAF export.

In sound post I need to make sure elements are slit to tracks that allow sub bussing of music, dialog and FX. I would never rely on an editor to get that totally right in their track assignments. Sub bussing also allows versions of stems without dips. Your method would bake in dips. The dips aslo respond differently to bus based dynamics processing unlike my mix where the dynamics processing is pre fader so that dips don't behave erratically and can easily be routed to record tracks pre fader as well to create the undipped stems. If you delivered your tracks to me to sound edit and mix, I would be very unhappy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]