FORUMS: list search recent posts

Combine timelines into one render

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
Combine timelines into one render
on Nov 29, 2017 at 12:52:17 pm
Last Edited By Duke Sweden on Nov 29, 2017 at 12:53:31 pm

This "seems" to be the only drawback to Resolve compared to Premiere Pro. In PPro I can create different sequences for each "scene" in my video, then combine all of the finished sequences into one final sequence timeline for encoding as a complete video. I've googled, yahoo'd, web crawled and even alta vista'd (ok, not really) but I can't find anything other than 5 year old posts saying it can't be done in Resolve 11. Seems like, now that v. 14 is supposed to be a complete NLE, you'd be able to generate a complete video.

Can you? Oh, I already tried a search in the manual. Nada.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
Re: Combine timelines into one render
on Nov 29, 2017 at 1:02:46 pm

Hi Duke!

I don't get it !

You want Davinci Resolve to be a copy of Adobe Premiere and BlackMagic should do it for free or do you have the Davinci resolve Studio version? If you miss all the Premiere features then stay with Premiere!

Best,
Ole

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Nov 29, 2017 at 1:33:59 pm

Yes, you can use Dynamic Project Switching in the Project Manager.
This allows to have several projects open at the same time and make copies between them.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Nov 29, 2017 at 3:09:27 pm

I'm not talking about combining projects. I'm talking about combining several timelines, or sequences as they're called in Premiere Pro, and rendering out one complete video. For example:

Timeline 1: Opening title and credits
Timeline 2: Opening scene (in restaurant)
Timeline 3: Walking down street
Timeline 4: Shootout at mob hideout
Timeline 5: Closing scene
Timeline 6: Closing credits

Do I have to render each timeline separately or can I combine them, like I can sequences in PPro, into one complete video? Again, I'm not comparing Resolve to Premiere Pro, I'm just using Premiere Pro examples to make my request clearer.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Nov 29, 2017 at 3:44:24 pm

Perhaps this video will be interesting with regard to your question?

Davinci Resolve 12 - Compound Clips and Nested Timelines

Best from Denmark Mr. Sweden

Return to posts index

Paul Draper
on Nov 30, 2017 at 10:27:13 pm

What I do: make each of the 'chapters' on separate timelines (like you do); then make each a Compound Clip (ie, pack into a folder); then place each Compound clip in sequence on a Master timeline for full vid-length play back and rendering.

Dell T7910 workstation, Win10x64 Pro; 64GB Ram; dual 12 core 3.0GHz Xeons; Nvidia 1080Ti; LG 34UM95 & BenQ SW2700PT, BM DeckLink Mini Monitor 4k. Audio: RME Fireface UFX+, RME ADI-8, UAD-2 quad core PCIe, Monitoring: Munro Eggs, Genelec 8020Bs, Logitech Z550 5.1. NLEs: DaVinci Resolve Studio, Adobe Premier. DAWs: Nuendo, ProTools HD, DP9, Live.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Dec 1, 2017 at 12:10:33 pm

Thanks, Paul. Since I don't do this for a living I don't have to be so precise in how I keep my projects neat, so I don't really need to go the compound route. As I said in another post, the procedure on page 416 suits me fine. Just right click each timeline I want to use on the edit page and create a new timeline.

Thanks for responding.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Nov 29, 2017 at 3:06:00 pm

Are you taking lessons from Tero on how to respond to honest questions? I have the studio version. I never said I missed Premiere Pro. I'm just trying to find out how to do things in Resolve that I could do in Premiere Pro. If my posts are so exasperating I suggest you do what I've told Tero many times. Ignore me.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 29, 2017 at 1:29:47 pm

[Duke Sweden] "This "seems" to be the only drawback to Resolve compared to Premiere Pro. In PPro I can create different sequences for each "scene" in my video, then combine all of the finished sequences into one final sequence timeline for encoding as a complete video."

Nesting works exactly the same in Resolve. Make an empty timeline and edit your other timelines in that.

[Duke Sweden] "Can you? Oh, I already tried a search in the manual. Nada."

Page 416

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Nov 29, 2017 at 3:11:18 pm

The manual doesn't help if you don't know how to phrase the search question. Thanks.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Nov 29, 2017 at 10:47:10 pm

I've already adapted the method suggested on page 416, selecting the timelines on the Edit page and right clicking to create a new timeline with those other timelines.

And I'm not Swedish. That's just my online nick. I'm an Italian from the Bronx.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 29, 2017 at 10:59:36 pm

If I get a project broken into separate timelines for scenes, then I just create a new timeline and then copy paste the timelines into the new timeline in order. I don't 'nest' or compound. Same when I am doing reversions of a cut. Copy paste sections of the graded timelines into a new timeline within the one projects.

And as someone mentioned, you can dynamic switch between projects to copy whole or partial timelines into a new project. I'm not sure there is any functionality that Pr has that Resolve doesn't other than having multiple projects open at once which is nice but not necessary when dynamically switching is pretty quick and means a neater screen.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 29, 2017 at 11:23:40 pm

Yeah, what Michael said...copy the sequence...or all the clips in that sequence, open the one you want to put them into, paste. Just like with Premiere or FCX...heck, even Avid does this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Nov 30, 2017 at 4:09:52 am

Nested Timelines actually work pretty well, and we routinely use that during the "versioning" process (textless, foreign titles, theatrical version, home video versions, etc.).

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Nov 30, 2017 at 12:56:12 pm

Thanks everybody. For future reference, whenever I reference Premiere Pro I'm not saying "Premiere Pro can do this, WHY CAN'T RESOLVE!?!". I'm just using it to explain what I'm trying to do. I don't even touch Premiere Pro anymore.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]