crushed blacks in QuickTime

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Guarri
crushed blacks in QuickTime
on Nov 28, 2017 at 4:22:13 pm
Last Edited By Paul Guarri on Nov 28, 2017 at 4:24:03 pm

Hi,
I graded a video in Resolve 12.5. All clips are ProRess 422HQ from a Blackmagic cinema camera.
Clips are set to video levels, export is set to video levels (tried auto/auto as well). "Use mac display profile for viewers" is unchecked in Resolve.

My retina MacBook pro display is calibrated to rec 709 using Diplaycal with i1 Display Pro probe. Even if it's not perfect, it closely matches my broadcast monitor and my tv monitor...

The video is shot in a dark ambient where I need to see some detail (about 5 / 10 IRE on Premiere scopes)

Everything matches in Resolve viewers, VLC, Premiere and Scratch Play. As I render the video and open it in QuickTime, blacks are horribly crushed and the video has a strong contrast. It looks like QuickTime is trying to compensate video/data levels.

I searched this and other forums. There is someone having a similar problem but I've found no solution.

There are no crushed blacks in the affected areas looking at the scopes both in Davinci, Premiere while blacks appear crushed in Quicktime, Final Cut X and Vimeo on Chrome. They look good on Vimeo using Firefox.

If I switch my computer profile to its default (color LCD), blacks are still crushed, contrast is slightly better.

Am I missing something? Is there anyone with a similar problem?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: crushed blacks in QuickTime
on Nov 28, 2017 at 6:27:28 pm

1. set your graphics driver to 0-255 in its control panel. premiere uses 0-255.
2. strip the metadata for quicktime player with JES extensify
It will strip the quicktime gamma atom tag. Go to color settings and tick allow changes. Remove both the Ganma and Color. Goto Manual and then press update to apply the changes.
http://download.cnet.com/JES-Extensifier/3000-13631_4-76083103.html

3 youtube click re-touch panel, don't save it after the retouch then cancel, it will transform it from 16-235 to 0-255. it will fix the colors in a few hours.

4. vimeo uses 16-235 native encode so you'd have to modify your grade to be brighter in premiere with levels effect to be input and output brighter 0-255 to 16-235.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Nov 28, 2017 at 8:20:44 pm

One thing you should try is to turn off all clip effects. Premiere is known to apply things like CDLs if they are present unless you explicitly turn clip effects off. This screwed us up for a while on a project for which we were supplying dailies along with an ALE for logging purposes. Premiere was applying the CDL values in the log to every clip.

Return to posts index

Paul Guarri
on Nov 29, 2017 at 12:45:15 pm

Hi Mike,
thanks for your support. I downloaded JES extensifier and followed your advice.

If I strip out gamma and color data, nothing changes. If I set gamma to 1.8, in QuickTime 7 blacks are not crushed anymore but the picture it's lighter than it should be. Nothing changes in QuickTime X.

Anyway, I've discovered there's a bug in Apple Color managed apps in OSX Sierra and some monitors.

If you use a custom calibrated profile all Apple color managed apps (Quicktime, Final Cut X etc...) show this issue.

Apparently, Chrome uses AV foundation and is affected as well.

I tested it on some stills and I have the same issue in Preview and QuickLook.

The only fix seems to use the default monitor profile (which is not calibrated) or a different player... Not good for FCPX users though.

Return to posts index

Robert Olding
on Dec 19, 2017 at 7:59:36 pm

Hi Paul ... read this response I posted a little while ago. It might help you.

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/277/41024

Robert Olding
http://www.8streetstudio.com
Minneapolis, MN

Return to posts index

Paul Guarri
on Dec 29, 2017 at 9:17:24 pm

Hi Robert. Thanks for your input.
In the meanwhile, I discovered there's a bug in Color Sync and if you use a custom CSS profile created with some third-party software, quicktime, final cut pro x and apple preview get color wrong. This don't happen with apple built-in profiles...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]