FORUMS: list search recent posts

Face in perfect focus but glasses "oversharpened"

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
Face in perfect focus but glasses "oversharpened"
on Nov 10, 2017 at 1:35:25 pm
Last Edited By Duke Sweden on Nov 10, 2017 at 4:58:52 pm

I shot one of the few videos where I'm in perfect focus (in V Log). When I open the clip in Resolve everything is perfectly focused with no sharpening necessary but my glasses appear "oversharpened" (aliasing is visible). How do I remedy that without dulling the other features around it, namely my face, ugly as it is?

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
Premiere Pro CC 2017 v.11.0

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Face in perfect focus but glasses "oversharpened"
on Nov 11, 2017 at 5:13:44 pm

Does it render out this way, or only on your computer monitor? Your settings might be dropping the resolution down within resolves display system.

It could also be a limitation of the camera. Fine lines from some lower end cameras have a habit of doing this. I had some DJI Drone footage of a bridge a year or two ago where all the footage looked great, except the fine lines of some of the support cables. They crawled all over the place. Ended up putting a bit of a softness/noise reduction filter on them to clean it up. It is the same sort of Moiré effect you get from a cheap suit on TV.

BTW...you should have kept the beard length...it looks impressive in the thumbnail... I can barely go a month or two before it gets cut :)

Glenn

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Nov 12, 2017 at 5:25:13 am

Oh, it'll grow back real fast, unlike my hair. And it's a GH5. Normally I don't have this problem.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Nov 15, 2017 at 5:49:34 am

[Duke Sweden] "I shot one of the few videos where I'm in perfect focus (in V Log). When I open the clip in Resolve everything is perfectly focused with no sharpening necessary but my glasses appear "oversharpened" (aliasing is visible). How do I remedy that without dulling the other features around it, namely my face, ugly as it is?"
My advice would be to use split-frequency keying and setup a node structure so that you basically have highs selected as a key and another layer node for lows selected. Refine the key so that highs only (like the glasses) are qualified, then blur them the tiniest bit, like maybe 51 or 52, and see if that takes the edge off it.

An alternative would be soft clip or SNR. There's a few things you can try, but the key (no pun intended) is to only affect the precise area you want. Tracking masks might be necessary in some cases.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Nov 15, 2017 at 1:34:23 pm

Thanks but it was impossible to key on the glasses. Normally I don't go for as sharpened a look so I guess I should just go back to what I was doing, blurring by one tick on the scale.

One other question. On my monitor the image I pasted here looks waaaaaay too dark. If that is how I graded it I'd be ashamed to post it here. It looked much better when I initially grabbed the still. I'm kind of surprised neither of you said "Get some lessons, will ya!" so I'm guessing it doesn't look that bad on your monitors? In which case I think I'd have to do some serious re-calibration. I'm using a 43" LG HDTV for a monitor. Does backlight change the brightness through different lighting situations? I'm going to try setting it to 0. Advice appreciated.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Nov 15, 2017 at 11:21:02 pm

It's not so much "keying on the glasses" -- it's refining a split-level keying qualifier in order to enable anti-aliasing only the top highlights, then using a window to confine that just to the glasses. I also find Primary Highlights to be helpful (unless Log Highlights work better). There's a bunch of things you can try.

As to the display: how is it calibrated? If it's been adjusted for Rec709/BT1886, then peak whites will be at 100 nits and blacks will be reasonable. ABL can alter this a little bit with cheap monitors (it's pretty much the way things are), but you can work around it to some degree.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Nov 16, 2017 at 3:38:06 am

Hey Marc. Sorry! I didn't really grasp what you were recommending in your first post. Yeah, I can try that. Is it possible to do that with GH5 h264 footage? I'll give it a shot in the meantime.

When I put up my previous post the image was really dark, but now, at night, with a light on in the room, it looks a lot better, so I'm thinking there's an auto brightness adjustment going on that I have to find in the menu so I can turn it off.

Thanks for the advice!

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Nov 16, 2017 at 4:50:00 am

Oooh, watch out for any kind of automatic settings. Those can lead you right off a cliff in terms of levels.

I have seen cases where parts of the picture (like eyeglasses) are distracting, and it takes a lot of worse to "get the curse" off them to the point where we can direct the audience's attention to the important aspects of the image. This sometimes takes a bit of work. The split-level technique is outlined by Benoit Cote in this (fairly long) post on LGG a couple of years ago...

http://liftgammagain.com/forum/index.php?threads/natural-skin-smoothing-dav...

The principles for defocus are the same as for selective sharpening. It is a little tricky and there are aspects that are not intuitive, but the technique does work. The recent Resolve 14 OFX Soften & Sharpen plug-in can duplicate some of this functionality in one node.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Nov 16, 2017 at 12:14:51 pm

Yeah, I've played with that for a while but when I discovered those built in blur and midtone detail settings I completely forgot about it. For the record, and Tero can vouch for this, I'm just an amateur. I do this as a hobby for my own enjoyment and to keep my mind sharp. But when I get into something I like to do it right so I appreciate whatever advice you guys can give me. Cheers.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 17, 2017 at 4:21:00 am

there's 3 ways to calibrate your TV going from best to worst
1. spyder or some professional calibration
2. the disney WOW disk self calibration
3. take a picture of your TV showing color bars or chip chart with a DSLR that has been calibrated. In theory, if the DSLR is calibrated, its image it takes will also be calibrated. In a pinch, it works great if your careful.

also, in after effects, you can use find edges as a luma matte for smart blur. it will only blur sharp lines. works really well for oversharpened video.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 18, 2017 at 12:50:24 am

I must be missing something.

How does taking a picture of an uncalibrated monitor with a DSLR make it a calibrated monitor?

Lets say my monitor is too cool...what is the DSLR going to do?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 18, 2017 at 2:50:44 am

you'd color correct the dslr's picture in photoshop so it matches the RGB values of the chip chart and create a LUT with iwltap, or use resolve's colorchecker auto match feature. it doesn't work if there's reflections off the tv. the specular light would have to be at a far angle. that's why it's #3.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Nov 18, 2017 at 1:13:44 pm

Chris! Sorry, did I wake you up? đŸ˜‰

Calibration isn't going to do anything to a cheap ($300) HDTV if I can't control the auto backlight, which I can't on this model. I even tried turning backlight down to 0 but then the picture was too dark and washed out, even with brightness set to max. Anyway, as you well know, and are always forgetting, is I don't need professional solutions for what I do, but I always appreciate your input, as well as Glen's.
Cheers!

P.S. Do you still need those sample shots you asked for, to test grade? I actually had to call 911 when my back went completely out. I've been pretty immobile for a while.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 18, 2017 at 4:14:58 pm

not really, I do appreciate you helping me build a lut for the camera. now just buy that disney calibration wow disk so you can at least enjoy star wars!

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Nov 19, 2017 at 2:55:36 am

Hey! You know I hate Star Wars/Star Trek and all those other Star things. SyFy is not my game, although I do appreciate a hot cosplay chick here and there ;-)

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]