FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black Magic Mini vs Tangent Element?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
phil hastings
Black Magic Mini vs Tangent Element?
on Nov 7, 2017 at 12:54:39 pm

I am looking at upgrading to a control panel for color grading. This would be used in an educational setting - university film and video program. I'm looking at either the Mini or the full Tangent Element bundle. Both are roughly in my budget. I asked for the Advanced Panel but, well it was a dream anyway. We will be using this with a Mac Pro 2013 for now. We run DaVinci Resolve 14 now and FCPX. We also have the Adobe suite.
I like the idea that the Tangent can be used for a number of different programs and not tied to just the Resolve but I'm also unclear how this tool is keeping up with BM and the Resolve software. I keep seeing people talking about it with 12.5 but not much about 13 and I haven't come across anyone using it in 14. Is this still possible?
I suspect that the Mini is going to be much better at communicating with the Resolve software but my understanding is that that would be it. A one trick pony. A good one but still only the BM software.

I'm looking for some feedback, sage advice etc. as to which might be the better and/or easier setup. Are there any specific problems I should be aware of before purchasing? Keeping in mind also that I don't have control of the machine for installing software and drivers. Our IT dept has a tight lock down on things.
Thanks in advance. I'm happy to provide more info if needed.

Phil

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Black Magic Mini vs Tangent Element?
on Nov 7, 2017 at 1:54:57 pm

There are a ton of reviews on YouTube on the Mini.

I've been researching myself for weeks and the only diff I find from Tangent is that you can use with other apps.
This would benefit me since I'm in Adobe/Avid/Autodesk/Apple apps daily.

Some of the reviews gush over the Mini and some say its overkill compared to the Micro.
This is due to the lack of more controls on the Mini but they compare it to the Advance panel.

Return to posts index

phil hastings
on Nov 7, 2017 at 2:18:28 pm

Thanks Eric,
You're right, I like the multi app function of the Tangent especially the way I teach. Between the Micro and the Mini I think I'd go with the mini I have the money and the extra functionality seems a plus. I'm mostly concerned about not knowing how well the Tangent Element kit will continue to work with Resolve over the years. All the demos I'm seeing on line are from 12 or earlier. On the BM forums there seems to be some back and forth about support and finger pointing between BM and Tangent. My funds are limited and unfortunately these funds also have a finite window of when I can use them. So I can't wait for anything new coming out in the next year it has to be what's available. Not enough time to do proper research.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Nov 7, 2017 at 4:27:28 pm

I use the Tangent Element (complete set) and it's great to be able to use it in other apps.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

phil hastings
on Nov 7, 2017 at 8:33:07 pm

Hi Warren, are you using v 14 of Davinci Resolve with the Tangent? Any anomalies I should be aware of? I appreciate the response.
p

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Nov 7, 2017 at 9:17:03 pm

Phil,

I haven't upgraded my main system to 14 so still on 12.X (latest version of 12).

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]