FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD to DNXHD question

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce Douglass
AVCHD to DNXHD question
on Nov 7, 2017 at 8:14:23 am

Hello,

I just started using Resolve and I noticed I can use the media management of resolve 14 to transcode my timeline into DNXHD LB 8 bit. IS this actually worth it? What' I'm looking to do is to trim my files and transcode them so I don't have a bunch of footage I don't want on my Hard Drive. I have filmed over 40 hours of footage and just want the important media files on my hard drive so I went through all my footage and trimmed it down in one timeline and clicked Consolidate and trim in the Media Management window.

What I don't know is if DNXHD LB (Low Bandwidth)8 bit Actually reduces the quality of my AVCHD .MTS file or not. It doesn't look like it but just wondering if it can at some point during my final product when I export.

I literally have over 4TB of AVCHD .MTS files from this documentary I shot and I don't need all 4TB on my hard drive.

Bryce

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: AVCHD to DNXHD question
on Nov 7, 2017 at 8:24:59 am

[Bryce Douglass] "What I don't know is if DNXHD LB (Low Bandwidth)8 bit Actually reduces the quality of my AVCHD .MTS file or not."

This depends on the specs your footage was shot. The LB bit rate is 36 Mbps so if your footage was shot at 100 Mbps you're throwing a lot of information away. In that case the LB version would work well as a proxy but not as an intermediate format.

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Nov 7, 2017 at 8:49:14 am

[Tero Ahlfors] "This depends on the specs your footage was shot. The LB bit rate is 36 Mbps so if your footage was shot at 100 Mbps you're throwing a lot of information away. In that case the LB version would work well as a proxy but not as an intermediate format.
"

My camera actually records in 28Mbps 8 bit. I understand the difference between Proxy and Transcode large files but what I'm really wanting to do is just to either ingest portions of what I filmed or somehow trim my clips so that I can then export them out into a similar file size that my .mts files are in so i don't have 4TB of files taking up my HDD. Anyway to just import in to out points for .mts?

Bryce

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 7, 2017 at 9:11:30 am

You should probably render out a test bit and see if you're happy with the quality.

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Nov 7, 2017 at 3:57:28 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "You should probably render out a test bit and see if you're happy with the quality."

It looks okay but what I can't tell is if after I've created the final project, color graded etc if it will still look good. haha

Bryce

Return to posts index

Bryce Douglass
on Nov 7, 2017 at 6:15:59 pm

I'm guessing that since my Camera films in 28Mbps and 8 bit that it's pointless to Transcode to DNXHD HQ? I think at max I should be sticking to SQ

Bryce

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Nov 8, 2017 at 11:30:40 am

You need to understando the difference between long GOP formats and data rates and frame based formats.
You can't compare data rates between them directly.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]