FORUMS: list search recent posts

Consumer HDR TVs

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caio Simbula
Consumer HDR TVs
on Nov 4, 2017 at 6:39:54 am

Hi All,

I’m sure some of you may think this is a ridiculous question, but how inaccurate could a consumer HDR TV be for color grading in Rec 709? I do understand if I wanted to do high-end work I would rent a real reference monitor for the right client, but what about for low-budget to mid-budget jobs? I have access to a Spectra-Cal at my work and would plan on using a Blackmagic Intensity 4K and calibrating it through Resolve and creating a LUT that can be loaded as a 3D video monitor LUT.

My theory is that if the TV is advertised as Dolby Vision HDR10 capable, surely it can display Rec 709 accurately. Especially if I’m calibrating it with SpectraCal Calmann Studio.

Just to entertain you even more, here is the TV I’m thinking of: https://www.costco.com/.product.100375313.html?&EMID=B2C_2017_1103_Hotbuys

I mean it’s gotta be better than my current JVC TM-H1950C CRT monitor that I’m currently using, right? That’s even a totally different color space.

What are anyone’s thoughts on this?

caioFILM
caiofilm@mac.com
http://web.mac.com/caiofilm

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Consumer HDR TVs
on Nov 4, 2017 at 7:39:42 am

who said they're inaccurate? just calibrate them. they can push rec 2020 which is way higher than srgb.

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/1000468#1000478

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 4, 2017 at 8:35:01 am

The specs can say all kinds of outrageous ad-copy stuff about the features of the TV. You'll need to validate that. If you want to use a normal TV you'll want to disable all automatic "image enhancers" before calibrating and some TVs won't let you disable everything.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 4, 2017 at 3:57:20 pm

I think you will find an inexpensive tv like this doesn't have the panel to allow proper color across the whole screen. Corners are different from the centre.

I have purchased 1 cheap ($500.00)4k tv and 1 more expensive ($3500.00) 4k tv. The difference in the panel is night and day.

I've said to a few people...buying a $500 4k tv is a waste of $500 dollars.

For the record, I scoped my $3500 sony 4k out of the box (after turning off all the "vivid" settings and Calman studio said "good to go". I did some minor tweaking to get it to match my scoped Flanders as best as possible.

I scoped my $500 Samsung, and it was horrible, and I couldn't get it anywhere near a proper setup.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Caio Simbula
on Nov 4, 2017 at 6:49:19 pm

Thanks for your input Glenn. Your personal experience between low-end and high-end was exactly the type of info I was looking for. I smarted up and didn’t buy it.

Are you using your hi-end Sony as a client monitor? I know I should probably buy a proper monitor like a Flanders.

Does anyone on this forum have any experience with either the Atomos Sumo monitors or the larger SmallHD monitors? Both brands claim that they can display HDR.

I’ve seen that people will hook up LG computer monitors (the one that’s supposedly 100% Rec 709 and 97% P3) to a Blackmagic product, but the playback I saw looked horrible, any action would tear across the screen. Calibrated, the color looked phenomenal when the playhead was still, but I hated it’s playback.

Thanks all for any of your experiences that you share with me.

Cheers,
Caio

caioFILM
caiofilm@mac.com
http://web.mac.com/caiofilm

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 5, 2017 at 4:21:42 pm

Yes i have the Flanders for my color critical monitor, which is why/when i bought the calman setup.
and a sony 4k for a client monitor. When you first scope with Calman, you are asked to do in initial scan of the monitor to see how far out it is. The sony came in with beautiful results. I then did a full calibration on it, and loaded the LUT into a teranex mini which feeds the sony. I actually found the contrast and brightness a bit out after the lut was applied- compared to the scoped flanders, so did some minor tweaks with the setting on the sony after the fact, and got it to the point where i was very happy looking at either monitor. In my setup, the client can't see my monitor at all, so any small imperfections become irrelevant to them, and they just become absorbed in the monitor they are looking at.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Nov 5, 2017 at 5:23:10 am

[Caio Simbula] "I’m sure some of you may think this is a ridiculous question, but how inaccurate could a consumer HDR TV be for color grading in Rec 709? I do understand if I wanted to do high-end work I would rent a real reference monitor for the right client, but what about for low-budget to mid-budget jobs?"
I've been using an LG OLED C7 for color correction over the last couple of months, calibrated with Calman and using a BMD Teranex-Mini as a LUT box, and I've been very happy with it so far. Not all the OLED panels are blemish-free, so be warned that you might have to go through a couple of samples to find one that will past muster in calibration.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]