FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommended Video Card for around $500

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Martin
Recommended Video Card for around $500
on Nov 3, 2017 at 11:42:52 pm

Hi guys, I've recently jumped ship from FCPX and testing out Resolve 14 for i quite like it's workflow. Disclaimer..I haven't been doing this for long so pardon any noob comments i may make! I know there are quite a few threads regarding this topic but i'm just reaching out for some taylored advice to fit my needs.

I am using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2gb in a 12core 2009 3.33ghz mac pro, OSX is on SSD and using a seperate SSD for cache drive, all my media is on a7200rpm drive. (not sure if thats the best way to do it but it seems having a SSD for the render cache speeds up the render process)

My question is: I use 4k MP4 from my sony A9 and Lumix g85 generally in a 1080p timeline so i have the option to zoom in but it seems like my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 is the bottleneck am i right?

I have seen the page that says to have a 4gb card or more to work with 4k so it seems my GTX680 2gb is slowing me down. Would i not have to optimise media with a faster graphics card and would i be able to not render after every move i make? This is the major thing slowing my workflow down, staring at the little red line, waiting for it to go blue. Even if i move a clip, it has to render again...soooo annoying but maybe i'm not doing things correct.

If i am to get a new video card, what are some recommendations for around $500

Should i get a 4gb card like a GTX 970 or something or should i save a bit more and get a GTX1080ti or Titan
I'm not sure about buying windows versions and flashing them, i'd rather not go down that path as it can't be sure i won't have problems with power etc.

I'd appreciate some help on this topic, thanks :)

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Recommended Video Card for around $500
on Nov 4, 2017 at 1:36:02 am

once you enter 4k, you need at least 8GB VRAM or you'll get gfx buffer errors and resolve will crash on you. try to get a 1070, 1070ti or 1080. they are all in that price range and have at least 8GB VRAM.

Return to posts index

Darren Martin
on Nov 5, 2017 at 3:03:52 am

Ok thanks, the 1080, 1070 etc are really hard to find in Australia for Mac it seems, As soon as a card says Mac pro in the description, its an extra $300 or so dollars.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Nov 5, 2017 at 5:16:55 am

MacVidCards has a selection of video cards that will fit the older PCI Mac Pros and are guaranteed to work.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Nov 5, 2017 at 4:23:07 pm

You don't need a "flashed" card. All you need is the correct Nvidia and CUDA drivers. Any out of the box 1080 or 1080ti will work fine.

Return to posts index

Darren Martin
on Nov 7, 2017 at 4:59:45 am

Oh really, ok thanks. It does seem the 1080ti has some power issues although, i might go the 1080

Return to posts index

C David Miller
on Dec 28, 2017 at 6:27:49 pm

I put a pair of Radeon Sapphire 7950/3GB cards in my Mac Pro 2010, 12-core Picked them up for under $200 each.. Work Great

Dave

C. David Miller
video7105@comcast.net

Comcast Network Television

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]