FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proxy files 10 times (maybe 8) more sluggish than original files

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
Proxy files 10 times (maybe 8) more sluggish than original files
on Nov 1, 2017 at 11:19:30 pm

My PC has handled the 4K 400mb All-I files from my GH5 pretty well, but out of curiosity I created a new project with 4 files, and had DaVinci create "Optimized Media" from the files. With "Use Optimized Media when Available" checked, the playback, with no color correction or anything added, played more like a slideshow than video. As soon as I unchecked "Use Optimized..." the files played smoothly.

Crazy, right?

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
Premiere Pro CC 2017 v.11.0

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Proxy files 10 times (maybe 8) more sluggish than original files
on Nov 2, 2017 at 12:04:07 am

What format did you set for the optimised media and which drive are they on. If you made uncompressed media and put it on the system drive you will get poor performance. And a very full system drive which is a bad idea.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 2, 2017 at 7:51:46 am

By default the optimized media is uncompressed 10 bit and that will require pretty fast storage media to run in realtime, especially in 4K. If it's 60 fps then it'll require around 5 GB/s of read speeds.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Nov 2, 2017 at 11:07:00 am

It's becoming more and more apparent that DaVinci should come with the instructions "Some assembly required" 😉

Thanks, guys.

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 2, 2017 at 5:27:45 pm

Knowing codecs helps too. Making ProRes files vs Uncompressed would be better...both are 10 bit, but ProRes has a lower data rate.

but you did say PROXY files...not OPTIMIZED, right? What codec did you convert the files to?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Nov 3, 2017 at 12:13:16 pm

Well, the body of my comment did say optimized. I didn't realize that proxy and optimized could be two different things, since they're both the same thing, designed to drive me insane, I suppose ;-)

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 3, 2017 at 1:57:47 pm

For all intents and purposes optimized media is proxy media in Resolve as you can create optimized media in a lower resolution than the original for better playback. In addition Resolve has a proxy mode that drops the timeline resolution for better performance kinda like Premiere can do for its viewers. Aaaaaaaaand there's also a performance mode that tries to tweak some other settings under the hood for performance gains.

Page 116 -> in the manual.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Nov 3, 2017 at 9:26:11 pm

AHA!!!! I *BANG!!!*.....OWwooooooo.... ooooh....sssss.....oooooh.....sssss.......banged my head!!!!!!.....owoooooooh.....ssssss....*i'll be back...*

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 2, 2017 at 10:43:45 pm

[Duke Sweden] "It's becoming more and more apparent that DaVinci should come with the instructions "Some assembly required"

To be fair I've never seen NLE software that doesn't need preferences to be setup. Resolve is no different. I like that the setup stuff has a dedicated onscreen icon to click on at any time instead of navigating through multi menus to a preference setting. But setting up your software to suit your particular hardware and style is a task that all systems require.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]