FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas to Davinci roundtrip problems

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Walker
Sony Vegas to Davinci roundtrip problems
on Oct 30, 2017 at 12:28:45 am

I'm currently working in Sony Vegas Pro 13, trying to set up a roundtrip with Davinci Resolve 14. Initially, I ran into problems where DaVinci wasn't seeing the XML, EDL, or AAF for Avid file (nothing would appear in the Import window). So far, only AAF for Pro Tools creates a file that DaVinci recognizes. After I setup a new DaVinci project and add my media to the Media Pool, I've clicked on "Import AAF, EDL, XML" and opened my AAF for Pro Tools file. The Load AAF dialogue window opens, but when I click Okay, I get an error message that reads: "No video timeline detected in Timeline Untitled, operation failed." The Timeline name in the dialogue window is the AAF file name. If I change it to the Timeline name I've created, it tells me to "Input new timeline name/Timeline name must be unique." If I enter a new name, it returns to the original message: "No video timeline detected in timeline Untitled, operation failed."

Advice?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Sony Vegas to Davinci roundtrip problems
on Oct 30, 2017 at 6:15:31 am

A ProTools AAF is audio only so that will not be useful. I have no experience with Vegas but I can tell you than an AAF of video track from Avid or Premiere works. If the file doesn't show as an option, check the file extension is correct and if not try renaming the file with the correct extension.

Return to posts index

Robin Walker
on Oct 30, 2017 at 6:36:45 am

Okay, well at least that made me laugh. Somewhere deep in this brain I did know that Pro Tools was audio only (I don't use the program) but in my frantic effort to get some type of file to show up I was going through all of the export settings. Thanks for your message--

Vegas exports an "Media Composer AAF" file, but it doesn't appear in the Import window in DaVinci. When I look at the file info, it's a ".log" not an .aaf. Is this correct? Also the full file name is strange: "Rocket Promo.aaf,28-10-2017,22-56-50.log". All of my export types produce a date, number sequence,.log after the original file type.

Thanks--

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 30, 2017 at 7:12:31 am

Try getting rid of the string after Rocket Promo.aaf . Either that or you are just looking at the log file of the AAF creation and the real AAF files is elsewhere.

Return to posts index

Robin Walker
on Oct 30, 2017 at 6:50:13 pm

Hi Michael,
Thanks for taking me through this process. You're correct, it is just the log file. My first export attempts only produced log files (no XML or AAF), but I see my later one did produce an AAF file. DaVinci opens it, but I'm still getting a " "No video timeline detected in timeline Untitled, operation failed," message when I import it and the same run-around when I try to name the timeline.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 31, 2017 at 12:38:09 am

I would try the Blackmagic Resolve forum as there may be a Vegas person there. I don't know what the issue might be but maybe Blackmagic support or Vegas support might help if you send them the AAF.

I've never been asked to load an AAF from Vegas. I know Avid and Premiere work so there must be something particular about Vegas's implementation.

Return to posts index

Robin Walker
on Oct 31, 2017 at 12:45:28 am

Probably sound advice-- thanks!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 31, 2017 at 2:06:11 pm

There is a setting within Avid, where by the AAF created will only have the tracks that have been selected during the output, as well as the In to out range can be specified. Perhaps Vegas is doing something similar. If the video track isn't selected, it may not be included.

Double check the aaf creation settings in Vegas.

If you would like to post the aaf, i'd be happy to see if Avid can open it.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Robin Walker
on Oct 31, 2017 at 6:54:57 pm

Hi Glenn,
Thanks for the generous offer to test the file-- I've attached it. It's just a three clip test to see if I can get the roundtrip to work. Vegas doesn't offer any export controls or options; when you click Export to... it just starts (no dialogue box).

This is my first time uploading a file, so hopefully I've got this right:
11827_davinciroundtriptest.aaf.zip

Thanks again!
Robin

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 31, 2017 at 8:30:35 pm

Avid will open that aaf, although it does give an error. Resolve is doing the same you reported...asking for a timeline to open. I'm wondering if the multilayer video tracks is throwing off Resolve? It shouldn't ...but might be worth trying an even simpler timeline.

Here is an output from AVID of the same list that resolve will open...so it is more than likely something on the Vegas end.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 31, 2017 at 8:34:23 pm

Hmm. having trouble getting the file to attach.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Robin Walker
on Oct 31, 2017 at 11:20:01 pm

Many thanks for trying it out on your system. I wasn't sure if it was a Resolve setting and procedure I was missing. You're probably right about it being Vegas, though there are a number of videos showing the roundtrip process (without getting my error, and using earlier versions of both programs). I posted to the Vegas forum to see if anyone there was successful at this, but haven't gotten a response yet.

Thanks again--
Robin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]