FORUMS: list search recent posts

Face Refinement: how to adjust momentarily shrunken sizing???

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael McCune
Face Refinement: how to adjust momentarily shrunken sizing???
on Oct 15, 2017 at 5:51:43 am

Resolve 14.1 Studio seems to have improved the Face Refinement feature a lot: seems to be much more stable and predictable over a long clip. And the various features, such as eye and cheek and forehead other adjustments, allow tackling these refinements in much less time and effort expended. Great!!!

BUT one issue remains for upcoming versions to tackle: momentary sizing down or scaling down of the overall mask.

It seems that the initial mask is fine and tracks as expected but will unexpectedly and momentarily shrink or scale down to about half or two thirds of its proper size. This shrunken size is only briefly held: it will return to its proper size in a few seconds.

Shrinking or scaling down seems to happen, for example, if the talent puckers their lips, making them smaller. I realize these algorithms are devilishly complicated with many variables to interpret.

So, given the above situation, is there a way to manually trigger a re-render of that short segment? Or, perhaps remove keyframes and let Resolve interpolate between them, as one does in fixing some tracking problems??? Does Face Refinement expose its keyframes somewhere for this kind of remedial tweaking??? (Don't see it and nothing about this issue in the manuals.)

There is an overall sizing control on the Face Refinement interface but its behavior does not seem to be one of scaling the mask but rather enlarging or shrinking the skin-tone based area of the mask.

Any thoughts about restoring the normal mask size for these momentarily shrunken masks????

Thanks, Mike

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Face Refinement: how to adjust momentarily shrunken sizing???
on Oct 15, 2017 at 6:10:48 am

I don't have any answers for you. But I have a few guesses: I think Face Refinement will go through some changes and improvements over time.

What I would like is the ability to turn some of the features off and only track those alone, like the eye light and so on. If we could do that, it's possible it would help the overall tracking somewhat.

And of course, it'd be nice to be able to make individual manual keyframe adjustments to specific parameters as well. The hooks are in there -- it's just a question for BMD to open that up in the GUI and give users control of it. I have no doubt there are good reasons why it hasn't happened yet.

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
on Oct 16, 2017 at 5:45:58 am

Right; Rome wasn't built in a day; it was indeed built in record time, a few years, but not just a day. (They didn't use mortar between the blocks but iron clamps and they had 100,000 slaves.)

I am sure that BMD and others will, in due course, have Photoshop-like marching ants masking tools that edge-detect with a level of accuracy that would revolutionize rotoscope work.

All we need are 100,000 slave engineers.

Thanks, Mike

Return to posts index

Michael McCune
on Oct 16, 2017 at 11:56:52 am

... It was the Colosseum, not the city of Rome, that was built in a few years. But they did have 100,000 slaves.

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]